Sincinnati Statement: Sinner Storms Through Cincinnati Opener

By Richard Pagliaro | Saturday, August 9, 2025
Photo credit: Cincinnati Open Facebook

All-surface champion Jannik Sinner returned to his favored hard court in Cincinnati.

The world No. 1 combined deconstruction with deception launching his Cincinnati title defense rolling to his 22nd consecutive hard-court victory.

tennis express pro player gear
tennis express pro player gear

When Sinner wasn’t busy torching blazing drives by Daniel Galan he bamboozled him with touch, flicking a clean forehand drop shot to wrap a 6-1, 6-1 sweep.

“I would say I’m obviously very happy to be back here,” Sinner told Tennis Channel’s Prakash Amritraj afterward. “It’s a special place for me and last year was an amazing year for me. So let’s see what’s coming.

“It’s very difficult to play here, I feel like the ball is flying fast so when you lose confidence with a couple of shots it makes it very, very difficult to play. I’m very happy about today’s performance, playing against a qualifier, it’s not easy so I’m happy about today and let’s see what’s coming.”

In his first match since dethroning two-time defending champion Carlos Alcaraz to make history as the first Italian to win Wimbledon, Sinner picked up right where he left off at SW19.

The world’s top two have renewed their rivalry teeing off on the local golf course before the Cincinnati Open began.

“We actually played now a couple of times before the tournament here,” Sinner told Prakash Amritraj. “I’m not a good golfer, but I love to spend time doing different things.

“Maybe now we will go because I have tomorrow one day off. Maybe we will play a couple of holes here. It’s the best place to play golf. In Cincinnati, there’s not so much to do. So we’re actually lucky the golf course is there.”

The reigning Australian Open and US Open champion was nearly untouchable on serve winning 22 of 23 first-serve points and saving the only break point he faced in a comprehensive 59-minute conquest.

Sinner will face either Argentinean Sebastian Baez or big-serving Canadian Gabriel Diallo with a potential round of 16 clash looming against American Tommy Paul.

Newly-engaged Paul pounded out a 6-2, 6-2 win over Spaniard Pedro Martinez earlier today. 

Two of the top 12 seeds failed to clear their first hurdle in the top quarter of the draw with both falling to Frenchmen. 

Benjamin Bonzi beat No. 8-seeded Lorenzo Musetti 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(4). That upset came shortly after Arthur Rinderknech outlasted 1th-seeded Casper Ruud 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2. 

Launching his quest to become the first man since legendary Roger Federer in 2014-2015 to successfully defend Cincinnati, Sinner was in charge from the very outset. The lanky Italian’s attention to detail was evident when he bent over to pick up the coin and return it to chair umpire Aurelie Tourte after losing the opening coin toss.

That was one of the last defeats Sinner took on this day.

The US Open champion rolled through 12 straight points on serve winning four of the first five games at love surging to a 5-0 lead after 17 minutes of play.

The reigning champion rips the ball with such fierce force off both wings, opponents have to respect the deep drive. Seeing the Colombian qualifier back behind the baseline, Sinner flicked a dropper, followed it forward and bunted a backhand down the line to take the first set in 26 minutes.

The bearded Colombian was on the verge of another early-set blow out, when he dug in and fought back.

Galan denied five break points in a punishing third game to hold for 1-2 in the second set.

Swatting a deep forehand return to push his opponent back behind the baseline, Sinner stepped in and scalded a forehand strike down the line breaking for 4-1. 

The four-time major champion flicked a final forehand drop shot closing in 59 minutes and scoring his 25th consecutive opening victory.

After disarming his opponent today, Sinner shared he didn’t hit a ball for 10 days after his Wimbledon win and believes that helps him return refreshed.

“I went without tennis, it was 10 days,” Sinner told Prakash Amritraj. “When I was a bit younger, a couple of years ago, I never wanted to take the racquet away. 

“Now every time when I have a small chance, I put it away, you know? Because then I will have even more love for the sport and for the game. And also, appreciation to comeback and feel good again. I love this sport. I love to make sacrifices also and I also love the people I have around. It’s a good combination of many, many things.”

Tommy Paul Engaged!

Tommy Paul and girlfriend Paige Lorenze announced their engagement in an instagram post.Human Interest

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Monday, July 14, 2025
Photo credit: Tommy Paul Instagram

Tommy Paul has found his happily ever after.

The 28-year-old Paul and long-time girlfriend Paige Lorenze announced their engagement in a shared Instagram post.

Tennis Express

The happy couple, who have been dating for about three years, captioned a lovely image of them embracing with a single word "forever" accompanied by a white heart emoji.

Paige Lorenze is an influencer, who is often in the support box for Tommy Paul's matches.

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 

 
 

A post shared by Tommy Paul (@tommypaull)

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 

 
 

A post shared by GQ (@gq)

Emotional Evans Appreciating Every Moment of Resurgence

The Brit is into the quarterfinals at Eastbourne, and taking aim at the Top 100bank

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Wednesday June 25, 2025

Dan Evans said at Roland-Garros that one of his big goals for the season was to work his way back inside the Top 100 so he can be a part of the Grand Slams.

Tennis Express

He won’t need that ranking next week at Wimbledon, where he’s been granted a wild card, but Evans took a step in that direction nevertheless on Wednesday at Eastbourne with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win over American Tommy Paul.

Afterwards the 35-year-old British, a former World No.21 now ranked 170, celebrated emphatically as he took his place in the quarterfinals alongside American Jenson Brooksby.

Evans reached his first quarterfinal since 2023 with a convincing performance over the World No.13 in two hours and 13 minutes. He squandered a break advantage in the third set but quickly regained it back, then served out the match with four consecutive points from 0-15 down in the final game.

“To be honest, I felt good serving for the match,” Evans said after becoming the fifth oldest quarterfinalist in tournament history. “It was more one-love in the second where I started thinking about the finish line, which is an error.


“I just said to myself: ‘enjoy this, this is what it’s about. I played much better tennis when I stopped worrying about what he was doing.”

Evans was close to tears as he addressed the crowd after his victory. He is already up to 154 in the live rankings with today’s win, and would get close to 140 with a win over Brooksby on Thursday.

“I know I’ve done the work as well, he said. “Once I got some confidence, and I knew the work was in the bank.

“A good friend said: ‘if you are ready and the door opens, you’ll walk through it, and if you’re not, you won’t.’ There’s been no truer words for me in the past few weeks.”

Shelton's Top-10 Debut Makes Three Americans in the ATP's Top-10 for the First Time Since 2006

The Americans could have four in the coming months. Andre Agassi

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Monday June 16, 2025

American men’s tennis continues to grow its momentum. After landing two men in the quarterfinals at Roland-Garros for the first time since 1996, the American men now have three players ranked inside the Top 10 for the first time since 2006.

Tennis Express

Enter Ben Shelton, who reached the semifinals last week in Stuttgart, and enters the Top-10 for the first time in Monday’s ATP rankings.

Shelton, 22, is the first American man born in the 2000s to achieve the feat.

Shelton is joined by Taylor Fritz, who returns to No.4 after winning the Stuttgart title, and Tommy Paul, who is at No.8, thanks to his quarterfinal run at Roland-Garros.

The last time three American men held Top 10 rankings at the same time was April 17th, 2006, when Andy Roddick was No. 4, James Blake was No. 7 and Andre Agassi was No. 10.


Shelton is the fourth ATP player – and second American, along with Paul – to make his Top-10 debut in 2024. The other two players are Jack Draper and Lorenzo Musetti.

Diallo Cracks Top-50

Canada’s Gabriel Diallo, 23, cracks the Top-50 at No.44 thanks to his title at ‘S-Hertogenbosch. Diallo became just the second Canadian to win a grass court title on Sunday, and the first since Greg Rusedski in 1993.

Italy’s Flavio Cobolli also cracks a career-high at No.24.

Zizou Bergs (+14 to No.49) and Reilly Opelka (+12 to No.75) were also among the big risers in this week’s ATP rankings. Opelka has risen over 200 spots since January. He played Brisbane at No.293 this year.

Bergs, who lost to Diallo in the ‘S-Hertogenbosh final, is back at his career-high.

Americans Land Eight in Roland-Garros Round of 16, Most Since 1985

It's been a banner year for Team USA on the Parisian clay. Boisson

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Saturday May 31, 2025

Paris – American tennis has smashed a record that stood for 40 years at Roland-Garros. Eight Americans – five women, three men – have reached the singles Round of 16 at the French Open for the first time in 40 years.

Tennis Express

The last time the Roland-Garros fourth round featured eight or more American players was 1985, also with five women and three men.

On the women’s side, Coco Gauff, Madison Keys, Jessica Pegula, Amanda Anisimova and Hailey Baptiste reached the fourth round. On the men’s side, Tommy Paul, Ben Shelton and Frances Tiafoe made it through.

The American men have placed three in the second week for the first time since 1995. All three Americans will be in action on Sunday in Paris, with Shelton taking on Alcaraz, Paul facing Alexei Popyrin and Tiafoe facing Daniel Altmaier.

On the women’s side, Anisimova will face Aryna Sabalenka on Sunday.

Keys will face Baptiste in an all-American clash on Monday, Pegula will take on France’s Loic Boisson, while Gauff will face Ekaterina Alexandrova of Russia.