Elena Rybakina indicates she is managing some niggles amid promising Montreal run

Elena

Elena Rybakina indicates she is dealing with some slight physical issues but suggests everything is under control and she is ready for the remainder of Montreal and the North American hard-court swing.

On Saturday, the Kazakh – who is currently ranked at No. 12 in the world and seeded at No. 9 at the Canadian Open – survived a two-hour and 33-minute battle versus No. 30 seed Dayana Yastremska 5-7 6-2 7-5 to reach the quarterfinal.

For Rybakina, that was already her sixth match on hard courts this summer. Before coming to Montreal, the former world No. 3 reached the Washington semifinal before losing to Leylah Fernandez.

"Well, of course, a little bit getting tired of my issues, but we're managing. Overall I'm happy that I'm ready to play these long matches. I think it's a good preparation for US Open in the end of the day," the 26-year-old said when asked how she was physically feeling.

Rybakina comments on facing Marta Kostyuk next in Montreal

Next up for Rybakina will be a career-fourth meeting against world No. 28 Kostyuk. Two and a half years ago, Kostyuk won their first match at the Adelaide International. Since then, they have met two more times, with the Kazakh winning on the ending side at the 2023 US Open and 2024 Stuttgart. 

While the 2022 Wimbledon champion won their last two meetings routinely in straight sets, she insists that she expects "a tough battle" against the Ukrainian.

"We played a couple of times. So different surface, but it's always tough battle. There is noisy matches, that's for sure. I will try to focus on myself. I know that she's really fighter, and she's really physically tough opponent. So yeah, I will try to do my best and hopefully can win that match," the Kazakh said of facing Kostyuk.

In the past, Rybakina made the Montreal semifinal in 2023.

Montreal: Emma Raducanu gets dismantled in 3R, while Iga Swiatek easily wins

Amanda Anisimova

Emma Raducanu is out of the WTA 1000 tournament in Montreal after being crushed 2-6 1-6 by Amanda Anisimova, while Iga Swiatek extended her winning streak to nine matches after making light work of Eva Lys 6-2 6-2.

Anisimova, who was beaten by Raducanu earlier this year at the Australian Open and Miami, came out determined to make a statement early on and she did so by breaking the Briton three times in the opening set. The second set was a similar story as the fifth-seeded American took the opening five games before serving out for the win in the seventh game.

In the Swiatek and Lys match, there wasn't any drama as the six-time Grand Slam champion got the job done routinely by claiming two breaks in each set. It was a clinical performance from the Polish tennis star, who faced only one break and saved it.

In the Montreal round-of-16, Anisimova will battle against Elina Svitolina, who beat Anna Kalinskaya. On the other side, Swiatek will fight against Clara Tauson – the same rival she beat en route to winning Wimbledon.

Swiatek's reaction to beating Lys

Going into their Montreal meeting, Swiatek and Lys had met twice and the Pole won both of those meetings – 6-1 6-1 in 2022 Stuttgart, 6-0 6-1 at this year's Australian Open. While the Pole gave no chance to Lys again, she insisted that it wasn't really an easy match.

“It’s always fun here. It was a solid match so I’m happy to have a chance to play another one here. The match was different from how we played each other last time. I just focused on myself and knew what my plan was, but Eva played some great down-the-lines and sometimes was really able to use her wrist and play some fast balls. It wasn’t easy, but I’m happy I just did my job," Swiatek said after her win.

Montreal: Coco Gauff survives unforced errors festival vs Danielle Collins

Beijing

Coco Gauff and Danielle Collins delivered an error-strewn display in Montreal but it was the No. 1 seed who managed to come out on top and clinch a narrow 7-5 4-6 7-6 (2) win. 

Gauff, who is seeded at No. 1 in the absence of Aryna Sabalenka, sprayed a stunning 74 unforced errors and had 23 double faults. Collins wasn't any better, firing 80 unforced errors and 13 double faults in two hours and 54 minutes of play. Overall, the two combined for a stunning 154 unforced errors. 

The third set was especially a rollercoaster – the top seed was twice up by a break but Collins managed to twice come back before also claiming a break in the 11th game to go 6-5 up. With a chance to serve out for the match, the world No. 61 failed to seal the deal and she paid the price by easily losing the tie-break.

How Gauff reacted to winning ugly against Collins?

"I was practicing well and I don't think I transferred it today, but hopefully I got my bad match of the tournament out of the way. Maybe if I cut that in half, it would be a quicker match for me… I thought that I was playing well, except that part of my game," the No. 1 seed said.

In the Montreal third round, Gauff will take on Veronika Kudermetova, who defeated Olga Danilovic in the second round. So far, they have met three times and the Russian caused some problems to the American in the past, having won their 2023 Doha battle. However, the 2023 US Open champion still leads their head-to-head 2-1 since she triumphed in their 2023 Stuttgart and Beijing meetings.

Heading into the match, one thing is for sure – Gauff will look to do a much better job of making less errors on the court. 

Shelton's Top-10 Debut Makes Three Americans in the ATP's Top-10 for the First Time Since 2006

The Americans could have four in the coming months. Andre Agassi

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Monday June 16, 2025

American men’s tennis continues to grow its momentum. After landing two men in the quarterfinals at Roland-Garros for the first time since 1996, the American men now have three players ranked inside the Top 10 for the first time since 2006.

Tennis Express

Enter Ben Shelton, who reached the semifinals last week in Stuttgart, and enters the Top-10 for the first time in Monday’s ATP rankings.

Shelton, 22, is the first American man born in the 2000s to achieve the feat.

Shelton is joined by Taylor Fritz, who returns to No.4 after winning the Stuttgart title, and Tommy Paul, who is at No.8, thanks to his quarterfinal run at Roland-Garros.

The last time three American men held Top 10 rankings at the same time was April 17th, 2006, when Andy Roddick was No. 4, James Blake was No. 7 and Andre Agassi was No. 10.


Shelton is the fourth ATP player – and second American, along with Paul – to make his Top-10 debut in 2024. The other two players are Jack Draper and Lorenzo Musetti.

Diallo Cracks Top-50

Canada’s Gabriel Diallo, 23, cracks the Top-50 at No.44 thanks to his title at ‘S-Hertogenbosch. Diallo became just the second Canadian to win a grass court title on Sunday, and the first since Greg Rusedski in 1993.

Italy’s Flavio Cobolli also cracks a career-high at No.24.

Zizou Bergs (+14 to No.49) and Reilly Opelka (+12 to No.75) were also among the big risers in this week’s ATP rankings. Opelka has risen over 200 spots since January. He played Brisbane at No.293 this year.

Bergs, who lost to Diallo in the ‘S-Hertogenbosh final, is back at his career-high.