Day 4 at the US Open promises to be a blockbuster as second-round action kicks off with some of the biggest names in tennis taking the court. Novak Djokovic and Carlos Alcaraz look to continue their progress, while American fans will be cheering on 2024 runner-up Jessica Pegula. Women’s top seed and defending champ Aryna Sabalenka and 2021 champioon Emma Raducanu also face tough tests.
Djokovic’s Next Test
Four-time US Open champion Novak Djokovic, 38, survived a gritty first-round win over Learner Tien but admitted he struggled with fitness and recovery during long exchanges. “I don’t have any injury or anything. I just struggled a lot to stay in long exchanges and recover after points,” Djokovic said.
After two days of rest, Djokovic will face American qualifier Zachary Svajda on Wednesday. The Serbian, who hadn’t played since Wimbledon, is looking to find his rhythm and start building momentum in New York.
American Men in Action
Day 4 at Flushing Meadows will feature several big American vibes. 2024 finalist Taylor Fritz and No. 6 seed Ben Shelton will be on court, with Fritz facing a challenging opponent while Shelton takes on Pablo Carreno Busta.
Two-time US Open semifinalist Frances Tiafoe will meet qualifier Martin Damm, and Marcos Giron goes up against the man who toppled Daniil Medvedev, France’s Benjamin Bonzi. Overall, eight of the remaining 11 American men in the draw will be in action on Day 4.
A Big Day For Teens
Day 4 at the US Open will also spotlight the next generation, with several teenage players in action. Joao Fonseca, Mirra Andreeva, Iva Jovic, and Jakub Mensik will all take to the court, giving fans a glimpse of the sport’s rising stars and plenty of exciting young talent to watch in Flushing Meadows.
Philippine sensation Alexandra Eala and Indonesia’s Janice Tjen will also be back in action, each looking to make history for their countries. Eala, the first player from the Philippines to ever win a Grand Slam match faces Cristina Bucsa of Spain, while Indonesian star Tjen takes on 2021 champion Emma Raducanu.
Stefanos Tsitsipas is the first to admit that his relationship with his father has never been perfect but also adds that it is only now as transparent as possible.
As you probably know, the Greek tennis star had a very messy split with his father in early 2024 August, when he shouted at Apostolos and made him leave the stands of the Montreal Masters. The very next day, they put an end to their partnership. However, what happened in Montreal wasn't the sole instance as it had been rumored for quite some time that there had been a lot of tension in their relationship.
After spending a full year without his coach and lasting only two tournaments in his most recent partnership with Goran Ivanisevic, Tsitsipas decided to return to the factory settings and bring back his father – who guided him in the past to two Grand Slam finals and a career-high ranking of No. 3 in the world.
Tsitsipas: We've had bad moments but the communication has never been better
"It's great having him back in the team. Well, it's one of those things that nothing else can beat. I feel like we've worked together for so many years. We've built so many amazing memories together. Obviously, a father-son relationship can be also complicated from time to time," the 26-year-old said on Tennis Channel.
"I won't deny that we've had our good moments, we've had our bad moments, miscommunications, not being able to communicate with ease in certain aspects or ways. But you know, we're not perfect. We're trying to figure it out. I've been very open with him, which I've never, I've never allowed myself to be that open and that transparent with him ever."
On Saturday, Tsitsipas clinched his first win since returning Apostolos to his team after overcoming Fabian Marozsan 7-6 (3) 6-2 in his opening Cincinnati Masters match. In the Cincinnati third round, the 25th-seeded Greek will take on Benjamin Bonzi.
Tsitsipas is currently ranked at No. 30 in the world and he has struggled with his consistency and results for the past two years. It remains to be seen if his father can help him return to where he once was was.
By Richard Pagliaro | Saturday, August 9, 2025 Photo credit: Cincinnati Open Facebook
All-surface champion Jannik Sinner returned to his favored hard court in Cincinnati.
The world No. 1 combined deconstruction with deception launching his Cincinnati title defense rolling to his 22nd consecutive hard-court victory.
tennis express pro player gear
When Sinner wasn’t busy torching blazing drives by Daniel Galan he bamboozled him with touch, flicking a clean forehand drop shot to wrap a 6-1, 6-1 sweep.
“I would say I’m obviously very happy to be back here,” Sinner told Tennis Channel’s Prakash Amritraj afterward. “It’s a special place for me and last year was an amazing year for me. So let’s see what’s coming.
“It’s very difficult to play here, I feel like the ball is flying fast so when you lose confidence with a couple of shots it makes it very, very difficult to play. I’m very happy about today’s performance, playing against a qualifier, it’s not easy so I’m happy about today and let’s see what’s coming.”
In his first match since dethroning two-time defending champion Carlos Alcaraz to make history as the first Italian to win Wimbledon, Sinner picked up right where he left off at SW19.
The world’s top two have renewed their rivalry teeing off on the local golf course before the Cincinnati Open began.
“We actually played now a couple of times before the tournament here,” Sinner told Prakash Amritraj. “I’m not a good golfer, but I love to spend time doing different things.
“Maybe now we will go because I have tomorrow one day off. Maybe we will play a couple of holes here. It’s the best place to play golf. In Cincinnati, there’s not so much to do. So we’re actually lucky the golf course is there.”
The reigning Australian Open and US Open champion was nearly untouchable on serve winning 22 of 23 first-serve points and saving the only break point he faced in a comprehensive 59-minute conquest.
Sinner will face either Argentinean Sebastian Baez or big-serving Canadian Gabriel Diallo with a potential round of 16 clash looming against American Tommy Paul.
Newly-engaged Paul pounded out a 6-2, 6-2 win over Spaniard Pedro Martinez earlier today.
Two of the top 12 seeds failed to clear their first hurdle in the top quarter of the draw with both falling to Frenchmen.
Benjamin Bonzi beat No. 8-seeded Lorenzo Musetti 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(4). That upset came shortly after Arthur Rinderknech outlasted 1th-seeded Casper Ruud 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2.
Launching his quest to become the first man since legendary Roger Federer in 2014-2015 to successfully defend Cincinnati, Sinner was in charge from the very outset. The lanky Italian’s attention to detail was evident when he bent over to pick up the coin and return it to chair umpire Aurelie Tourte after losing the opening coin toss.
That was one of the last defeats Sinner took on this day.
The US Open champion rolled through 12 straight points on serve winning four of the first five games at love surging to a 5-0 lead after 17 minutes of play.
The reigning champion rips the ball with such fierce force off both wings, opponents have to respect the deep drive. Seeing the Colombian qualifier back behind the baseline, Sinner flicked a dropper, followed it forward and bunted a backhand down the line to take the first set in 26 minutes.
The bearded Colombian was on the verge of another early-set blow out, when he dug in and fought back.
Galan denied five break points in a punishing third game to hold for 1-2 in the second set.
Swatting a deep forehand return to push his opponent back behind the baseline, Sinner stepped in and scalded a forehand strike down the line breaking for 4-1.
The four-time major champion flicked a final forehand drop shot closing in 59 minutes and scoring his 25th consecutive opening victory.
After disarming his opponent today, Sinner shared he didn’t hit a ball for 10 days after his Wimbledon win and believes that helps him return refreshed.
“I went without tennis, it was 10 days,” Sinner told Prakash Amritraj. “When I was a bit younger, a couple of years ago, I never wanted to take the racquet away.
“Now every time when I have a small chance, I put it away, you know? Because then I will have even more love for the sport and for the game. And also, appreciation to comeback and feel good again. I love this sport. I love to make sacrifices also and I also love the people I have around. It’s a good combination of many, many things.”