Sincinnati Statement: Sinner Storms Through Cincinnati Opener

By Richard Pagliaro | Saturday, August 9, 2025
Photo credit: Cincinnati Open Facebook

All-surface champion Jannik Sinner returned to his favored hard court in Cincinnati.

The world No. 1 combined deconstruction with deception launching his Cincinnati title defense rolling to his 22nd consecutive hard-court victory.

tennis express pro player gear
tennis express pro player gear

When Sinner wasn’t busy torching blazing drives by Daniel Galan he bamboozled him with touch, flicking a clean forehand drop shot to wrap a 6-1, 6-1 sweep.

“I would say I’m obviously very happy to be back here,” Sinner told Tennis Channel’s Prakash Amritraj afterward. “It’s a special place for me and last year was an amazing year for me. So let’s see what’s coming.

“It’s very difficult to play here, I feel like the ball is flying fast so when you lose confidence with a couple of shots it makes it very, very difficult to play. I’m very happy about today’s performance, playing against a qualifier, it’s not easy so I’m happy about today and let’s see what’s coming.”

In his first match since dethroning two-time defending champion Carlos Alcaraz to make history as the first Italian to win Wimbledon, Sinner picked up right where he left off at SW19.

The world’s top two have renewed their rivalry teeing off on the local golf course before the Cincinnati Open began.

“We actually played now a couple of times before the tournament here,” Sinner told Prakash Amritraj. “I’m not a good golfer, but I love to spend time doing different things.

“Maybe now we will go because I have tomorrow one day off. Maybe we will play a couple of holes here. It’s the best place to play golf. In Cincinnati, there’s not so much to do. So we’re actually lucky the golf course is there.”

The reigning Australian Open and US Open champion was nearly untouchable on serve winning 22 of 23 first-serve points and saving the only break point he faced in a comprehensive 59-minute conquest.

Sinner will face either Argentinean Sebastian Baez or big-serving Canadian Gabriel Diallo with a potential round of 16 clash looming against American Tommy Paul.

Newly-engaged Paul pounded out a 6-2, 6-2 win over Spaniard Pedro Martinez earlier today. 

Two of the top 12 seeds failed to clear their first hurdle in the top quarter of the draw with both falling to Frenchmen. 

Benjamin Bonzi beat No. 8-seeded Lorenzo Musetti 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(4). That upset came shortly after Arthur Rinderknech outlasted 1th-seeded Casper Ruud 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2. 

Launching his quest to become the first man since legendary Roger Federer in 2014-2015 to successfully defend Cincinnati, Sinner was in charge from the very outset. The lanky Italian’s attention to detail was evident when he bent over to pick up the coin and return it to chair umpire Aurelie Tourte after losing the opening coin toss.

That was one of the last defeats Sinner took on this day.

The US Open champion rolled through 12 straight points on serve winning four of the first five games at love surging to a 5-0 lead after 17 minutes of play.

The reigning champion rips the ball with such fierce force off both wings, opponents have to respect the deep drive. Seeing the Colombian qualifier back behind the baseline, Sinner flicked a dropper, followed it forward and bunted a backhand down the line to take the first set in 26 minutes.

The bearded Colombian was on the verge of another early-set blow out, when he dug in and fought back.

Galan denied five break points in a punishing third game to hold for 1-2 in the second set.

Swatting a deep forehand return to push his opponent back behind the baseline, Sinner stepped in and scalded a forehand strike down the line breaking for 4-1. 

The four-time major champion flicked a final forehand drop shot closing in 59 minutes and scoring his 25th consecutive opening victory.

After disarming his opponent today, Sinner shared he didn’t hit a ball for 10 days after his Wimbledon win and believes that helps him return refreshed.

“I went without tennis, it was 10 days,” Sinner told Prakash Amritraj. “When I was a bit younger, a couple of years ago, I never wanted to take the racquet away. 

“Now every time when I have a small chance, I put it away, you know? Because then I will have even more love for the sport and for the game. And also, appreciation to comeback and feel good again. I love this sport. I love to make sacrifices also and I also love the people I have around. It’s a good combination of many, many things.”

Alcaraz to Lead Spanish Davis Cup Squad

By Richard Pagliaro | Friday, August 8, 2025
Photo credit: Angel Martinez/Getty for ITF

Reigning Roland Garros champion Carlos Alcaraz aims to restore the roar to the Spanish Davis Cup team.

Captain David Ferrer has named Alcaraz, Washington, DC finalist Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, Marcel Granollers and Pedro Martinez to the Spanish squad that will host Denmark in the Davis Cup second round qualifier set for September 13-14th at the Puente Romano Tennis Club in Marbella, Spain.

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina

“I am very happy with the commitment that the players have made and with the enthusiasm that the team has to be able to overcome Denmark, which we already know is going to be a tough with Holger Rune,” Ferrer said. “But we are going to face it in the best way.

“Alejandro has been very consistent, he is in the Top 20 of the race and Carlos comes from winning Roland Garros and making the finals of Wimbledon, so I am very excited that they can be with us.”

The tie will be contested on outdoor red clay in Marbella.

World No. 2 Alcaraz, who owns a 3-0 Davis Cup singles record, will make his first appearance since he defeated Tallon Griekspoor 7-6, 6-3 in the 2024 quarterfinals last November.

The 22-year-old Spaniard is riding a streak of 13 straight clay-court victories, capturing successive clay championships at Roland Garros and Rome. Alcaraz’s last clay-court loss came to Danish star Holger Rune 7-6(6), 6-2 in the Barcelona final in April.