As the 2025 US Open approaches, several notable developments and player insights have emerged, setting the stage for an exciting tournament at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City.
Defending champion Jannik Sinner has confirmed his fitness ahead of the tournament, despite a recent illness that led to his withdrawal from a warm-up event. The Italian world number one expressed confidence in his preparation and readiness to defend his title.
In the women's singles, Jessica Pegula, last year's finalist, is gearing up for another attempt at securing her first Grand Slam title. The 31-year-old New York native embraces the unpredictable nature of the US Open, viewing it as an individual challenge that adds to the excitement of the tournament.
On the American front, 22-year-old Ben Shelton enters the US Open with high confidence following his first Masters 1000 title in Canada and a career-high world number six ranking. Shelton acknowledges the depth of American talent, including Frances Tiafoe, Taylor Fritz, and Tommy Paul, and remains focused on taking the tournament match by match.
The mixed doubles competition has also seen significant changes. Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori successfully defended their US Open mixed doubles title, defeating Iga Swiatek and Casper Ruud in a thrilling final. The match showcased a revamped competition format that featured top singles players and included wildcard entries, such as the defending champions.
Additionally, 17-year-old American Darwin Blanch, a promising talent from the Ferrero Tennis Academy, has secured a wildcard entry into the main draw of the US Open. Blanch's recent victory at the U.S. National Under-18 Championship and his impressive performance at the ATP 250 in Winston-Salem highlight his potential on the professional circuit.
As the tournament unfolds, all eyes will be on these players and the evolving dynamics of the US Open, promising a blend of seasoned experience and emerging talent.
By Richard Pagliaro | Saturday, August 9, 2025 Photo credit: Cincinnati Open Facebook
All-surface champion Jannik Sinner returned to his favored hard court in Cincinnati.
The world No. 1 combined deconstruction with deception launching his Cincinnati title defense rolling to his 22nd consecutive hard-court victory.
tennis express pro player gear
When Sinner wasn’t busy torching blazing drives by Daniel Galan he bamboozled him with touch, flicking a clean forehand drop shot to wrap a 6-1, 6-1 sweep.
“I would say I’m obviously very happy to be back here,” Sinner told Tennis Channel’s Prakash Amritraj afterward. “It’s a special place for me and last year was an amazing year for me. So let’s see what’s coming.
“It’s very difficult to play here, I feel like the ball is flying fast so when you lose confidence with a couple of shots it makes it very, very difficult to play. I’m very happy about today’s performance, playing against a qualifier, it’s not easy so I’m happy about today and let’s see what’s coming.”
In his first match since dethroning two-time defending champion Carlos Alcaraz to make history as the first Italian to win Wimbledon, Sinner picked up right where he left off at SW19.
The world’s top two have renewed their rivalry teeing off on the local golf course before the Cincinnati Open began.
“We actually played now a couple of times before the tournament here,” Sinner told Prakash Amritraj. “I’m not a good golfer, but I love to spend time doing different things.
“Maybe now we will go because I have tomorrow one day off. Maybe we will play a couple of holes here. It’s the best place to play golf. In Cincinnati, there’s not so much to do. So we’re actually lucky the golf course is there.”
The reigning Australian Open and US Open champion was nearly untouchable on serve winning 22 of 23 first-serve points and saving the only break point he faced in a comprehensive 59-minute conquest.
Sinner will face either Argentinean Sebastian Baez or big-serving Canadian Gabriel Diallo with a potential round of 16 clash looming against American Tommy Paul.
Newly-engaged Paul pounded out a 6-2, 6-2 win over Spaniard Pedro Martinez earlier today.
Two of the top 12 seeds failed to clear their first hurdle in the top quarter of the draw with both falling to Frenchmen.
Benjamin Bonzi beat No. 8-seeded Lorenzo Musetti 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(4). That upset came shortly after Arthur Rinderknech outlasted 1th-seeded Casper Ruud 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2.
Launching his quest to become the first man since legendary Roger Federer in 2014-2015 to successfully defend Cincinnati, Sinner was in charge from the very outset. The lanky Italian’s attention to detail was evident when he bent over to pick up the coin and return it to chair umpire Aurelie Tourte after losing the opening coin toss.
That was one of the last defeats Sinner took on this day.
The US Open champion rolled through 12 straight points on serve winning four of the first five games at love surging to a 5-0 lead after 17 minutes of play.
The reigning champion rips the ball with such fierce force off both wings, opponents have to respect the deep drive. Seeing the Colombian qualifier back behind the baseline, Sinner flicked a dropper, followed it forward and bunted a backhand down the line to take the first set in 26 minutes.
The bearded Colombian was on the verge of another early-set blow out, when he dug in and fought back.
Galan denied five break points in a punishing third game to hold for 1-2 in the second set.
Swatting a deep forehand return to push his opponent back behind the baseline, Sinner stepped in and scalded a forehand strike down the line breaking for 4-1.
The four-time major champion flicked a final forehand drop shot closing in 59 minutes and scoring his 25th consecutive opening victory.
After disarming his opponent today, Sinner shared he didn’t hit a ball for 10 days after his Wimbledon win and believes that helps him return refreshed.
“I went without tennis, it was 10 days,” Sinner told Prakash Amritraj. “When I was a bit younger, a couple of years ago, I never wanted to take the racquet away.
“Now every time when I have a small chance, I put it away, you know? Because then I will have even more love for the sport and for the game. And also, appreciation to comeback and feel good again. I love this sport. I love to make sacrifices also and I also love the people I have around. It’s a good combination of many, many things.”
After crashing out of this year’s French Open Alex de Minaur – the seemingly indefatigable Aussie who plays tennis like the energizer bunny – cited burnout as one of the biggest contributing factors to his on court struggles.
“For the last three, four years I’ve had two days off after the Davis Cup and I’ve gone straight into preseason, straight into the new season again,” he said after falling to Alexander Bublik in five sets in the second round in Paris.
Tennis Express player gear
“Once you start, you don’t finish until Nov. 24. So it’s never ending. The way [the season] is structured … I had to deal with that. I’m still dealing with that right now.”
Two months later, the 26-year-old Aussie is looking recharged, even if he is at a lower ranking. That’s became De Minaur skipped out on his ‘s-Hertogenbosch title defense in order to prioritize his mental and physical health over chasing ranking points.
This week in Toronto he rides an eight-match winning streak into the quarterfinals.
“I took some time off, I didn’t play some tournaments. I knew I had to kind of shift my mindset a little bit, because what I was feeling, what I was dealing with every single day, was not sustainable, and was the reason for my burnout,” De Minaur said earlier this week.
“So, I decided not to try and defend the title in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, even though I knew it would affect my seeding at Wimbledon. And that for me was the first step, forgetting about my ranking and just worrying about myself a little bit more.”
De Minaur and many other players – from Casper Ruud to Alexander Zverev to Iga Swiatek – have expressed worry about the demands of the current tour schedule, and the smart ones are learning to take matters into their own hands.
“I managed to have a great balance,” De Minaur said. “I’ve had a lot of talks off the court to make sure I am in this right mindset. Now I’m prioritizing myself, and I know that I’m a good enough player, I know I’m a top-10 player, even if I’m not, I wasn’t in that ranking a couple weeks ago.
“If I show up, and I’m mentally ready and physically ready, I know I can provide that tennis. The last couple weeks have been an example of that, so very proud.”
By Richard Pagliaro | Saturday, August 2, 2025 Photo credit: Matthew Stockman/Getty
In a clash of friendly fire, Alex Michelsen played clean first-strike tennis to take good friend Learner Tien down.
Michelsen broke Tien in his opening service game of both sets sparking a 6-3, 6-3 sweep in a match of talented Californians in Toronto today.
The 20-year-old Michelsen, who toppled 10th-ranked Lorenzo Musetti in the prior round, advance to his 15th career quarterfinal and first Masters 1000 quarterfinal.
It’s a milsetone moment for Michelsen, who led start to finish. Michelsen is the youngest American ATP Masters 1000 quarterfinalist since a 20-year-old Sebastian Korda made the last eight at 2021 Miami. He’s the youngest U.S. man to reach the National Bank Open quarterfinals since a 20-year-old Andy Roddick took the title 22 years ago.
Aggressive baseline play from Michelsen combined with some uncharacteristically sloppy shotmaking from Tien was the difference today. Michelsen converted four of 10 break points in an 80 minute victory for his sixth quarterfinal of the 2025 season.
The 34th-ranked Michelsen will face Karen Khachanov for a spot in the final four.
Khachanov cracked 29 winners in a 6-4, 7-5 victory over former US Open finalist Casper Ruud.
The 11th-seeded Khachanov broke three times in a 93-minute victory.
Khachanov beat Ruud for the first time in three meetings and snapped an 11-match losing streak vs. Top 20 opponents. It was Khachanov’s first win over a Top 20 opponent since he beat Grigor Dimitrov at the Paris Indoors last October.
The hard-hitting Khachanov has dropped just one set in three tournament victories.
Michelsen won his lone prior meeting vs. Khachanov with an impressive 6-3, 7-6(5), 6-2 sweep at the Australian Open last January.