Washington: Daniil Medvedev sweeps Yibing Wu, sails into QF

Australian Open Men's singles final

Daniil Medvedev enjoyed a relaxed day at the office at the ATP 500 event in Washington. The 2019 finalist faced Yibing Wu in the third round and scored a convincing 6-3, 6-2 triumph in 69 minutes.

The Russian fired 11 aces and barely lost a point after landing in the first serve. He dropped six points in eight service games and kept the pressure on the other side. 

Yibing played well to pass the qualifying stage and earn two main-draw wins. However, he stood no chance against the former world no. 1, struggling on serve and return and hitting the exit door.

The Chinese dropped half of the points hi his games and played against 13 break points. Wu did a fine job in denying nine. However, he got broken four times and propelled Medvedev through. 

Daniil landed 18 winners and 13 unforced errors. He had the upper hand in service winners and from the baseline, outplaying his rival in the shortest and more advanced rallies en route to a comfortable victory. 

Yibing squandered game points in the first game of the duel and placed a forehand wide to suffer an early break. They served well in the next seven games, and Medvedev held at love in game eight with a forehand crosscourt winner for 5-3.

Wu played another loose service game and faced issues while serving to stay in the set. He sprayed a forehand error, losing serve for the second time and allowing Daniil to wrap up the opener in 31 minutes.

Daniil Medvedev & Yibing Wu, Washington 2025

Daniil Medvedev & Yibing Wu, Washington 2025© Stream screenshot

 

The Chinese denied five break points at the beginning of the second set. However, he played a terrible forehand in the fourth game to suffer a break and push his rival closer to the finish line. 

Wu saved three more break points in the sixth game, remaining within one break deficit and extending the battle. Medvedev held at 15 in game seven for 5-2 and made a push on the return in the next one. 

The Russian welcomed the rival's loose forehand, providing another break and sealing the deal in under 70 minutes.

Venus Williams and Reilly Opelka to Play US Open Mixed Doubles

Alex de Minaur and Katie Boulter will partner in new US Open mixed doubles format.Alex de Minaur Donna Vekic

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Monday, July 21, 2025
Photo credit: Four Seasons

Venus Williams will celebrate the 25th anniversary of her maiden US Open crown returning to play Flushing Meadows.

Former world No. 1 Venus will partner good friend Reilly Opelka in next month's US Open Mixed Doubles event, the USTA announced today.

Tennis Express

The 45-year-old Venus is set to play her first pro match in 16 months in Washington, DC this week.

A quarter century ago, Venus Williams defeated Lindsay Davenport 6-4, 7-5 to capture her first US Open singles crown. Venus successfully defended the US Open in 2001 when she defeated younger sister and 1999 champion Serena Williams 6-2, 6-4 in one of the most-widely viewed US Open women's finals.

Proving the couple that plays together, stays together, Australian No. 1 Alex de Minaur will partner fiancee Katie Boulter at the US Open.

"Yeah, we're definitely going to be keen to try and play if they allow us to and if they want us to," de Minaur told the media at Queen's Club last month. "If that's an option, then we'll definitely be up for it."

One of tennis' top glamor couples announced their engagement on December 23rd on social media.

Earlier this season, de Minaur shared earning "big bucks" to pay for the wedding is one of his driving forces on court these days.

“Realistically, what's driving me at the moment is trying to earn some big bucks for this wedding budget,” De Minaur told Tennis Channel in April. “That's the only thing on my mind—trying to win as many matches as I can, because I've started to look at venues and it's expensive. I can tell you that.”

Paula Badosa and Stefanos Tsitsipas, who have reportedly endeded their relationship, are no longer on the US Open Mixed Doubles entry list.

Given the US Open Mixed Doubles champions will earn $1 Million for capturing the 2025 US Open Mixed Doubles crown, that could be even more motivation for de Minaur and Boulter to join forces in Flushing Meadows and cover their wedding budget.

In total, 25 teams have now entered the event.

The competition will take place during US Open Fan Week on Tuesday, August 19, and Wednesday, August 20, at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, with $1 Million in prize money being awarded to the winning team.

Though Fan Week remains free, fans will need to buy tickets to watch the US Open Mixed Doubles.

The entry window will close on July 28th at 12:00 ET, at which time the top eight teams with the best combined singles ranking at the time will officially be in the field/draw via direct acceptance.

The remaining eight teams will be determined via wild card and announced on a date to follow.

The entry list for the 2025 US Open Mixed Doubles Championship includes the following teams:

Emma Navarro and Jannik Sinner
Amanda Anisimova 
and Holger Rune
Jessica Pegula
and Tommy Paul
Jasmine Paolini
and Lorenzo Musetti
Elena Rybakina
and Taylor Fritz
Mirra Andreeva
and Daniil Medvedev
Madison Keys
and Frances Tiafoe
Aryna Sabalenka
and Grigor Dimitrov
Iga Swiatek
and Casper Ruud
Karolina Muchova 
and Andrey Rublev
Emma Raducanu
and Carlos Alcaraz
Belinda Bencic
and Alexander Zverev
Olga Danilovic
and Novak Djokovic
Taylor Townsend
and Ben Shelton
Sara Errani
and Andrea Vavassori
Naomi Osaka
and Nick Kyrgios
Katie Boulter
and Alex de Minaur
Donna Vekic
and Hubert Hurkacz
Gaby Dabrowski and Felix Auger-Aliassime
Demi Schuurs and Tallon Griekspoor
Katerina Siniakova and Marcelo Arevalo
Desirae Krawczyk and Evan King
Su-Wei Hsieh and Jan Zielinski
Iva Jovic and Jenson Brooksby
Venus Williams and Reilly Opelka

“In our initial discussions about reimagining and elevating the US Open Mixed Doubles Championship, we wanted to find a way to showcase the world’s best men and women competing with and against one another, and we were confident that we would be able to get the top players in the game excited about this unique opportunity,” said Lew Sherr, CEO and Executive Director, USTA. “Seeing the teams that have already put their names on the entry list makes us all incredibly excited.

"It shows that the players are behind what we are trying to do, and we know that the fans will love it.”

Recovering from Surgery, Zheng Qinwen Out of US Open

Olympic gold-medal champion officially withdraws from US Open.arthroscopic surgery

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Monday, July 21, 2025
Photo credit: Zheng Qinwen Instagram

Zheng Qinwen has withdrawn from the US Open.

The Olympic gold-medal champion is recovering from arthroscopic surgery on her right elbow and will be sidelined as she heals from surgery.

Tennis Express

Frenchwoman Leolia Jeanjean moves into the US Open main draw with Zheng's departure.

Zheng reached the US Open quarterfinals last September losing to eventual-champion Aryna Sabalenka.

The Chinese power player's Flushing Meadows quarterfinal result was part of a strong surge to end the season that saw Zheng reach three finals in her last five tournaments of 2024 as she lost to Sabalenka in the Wuhan final, defeated Sofia Kenin to win the Tokyo title and reached the final of the WTA Finals in Riyadh bowing to Coco Gauff.

"Over the past months, I’ve been dealing with persistent pain in my right elbow during training and matches. Despite trying various treatments to manage it, the discomfort never fully went away," Zheng wrote in an Instagram post over the weekend. "After consulting with elbow specialists and discussing thoroughly with my team, we decided that arthroscopic surgery was the best option to fully resolve the issue.

"Yesterday, I underwent the procedure successfully, and I’m grateful to have it behind me."

It is uncertain when the former Australian Open finalist can return though Zheng said she envisions "just a short break."

"Now begins the recovery journey. Over the next few weeks and months, I’ll be focusing entirely on rehab—doing everything I can to come back stronger and healthier," Zheng said. "This is just a short break, and I see it as a necessary step toward a better version of myself on court."

The world No. 6 reached the quarterfinals or better in six of her last eight tournaments.

A Rome semifinalist, Zheng reached the Roland Garros quarterfinals and Queen's Club semifinals bowing to Wimbledon finalist Amanda Anisimova before she suffered a first-round loss to Katerina Siniakova at Wimbledon.

See the 2025 US Open Player Entry Lists

Player entry lists are based on the July 14 ATP and WTA rankings. Alexander Shevchenko

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Tuesday July 15, 2025

The US Open has released the men's and women's singles entry lists for the 2025 US Open.

Tennis Express

Click the links to view the full entry lists: Men's Singles | Women's Singles

World No. 1s and reigning US Open singles champions Aryna Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner lead their respective fields, with 18 total former Grand Slam singles champions, including 10 former US Open champions on the list.

The United States leads all nations with 30 players (16 women and 14 men) earning direct entry into the tournament.

Nine players are using special or protected rankings, including Petra Kvitova (No. 14), Nick Kyrgios (No. 21) and Sorana Cirstea (No. 37).

Both the men's and women's entries were based on the July 14 rankings. The women's cutoff was No. 99 Mayar Sherif, while the men's cutoff was No. 101, Alexander Shevchenko.

Main draw play begins on August 24 in Flushing Meadows, while qualifying week kicks off on August 18.

Fritz: Comparing Unbelievable Sinner to Unpredictable Alcaraz

US Open finalist Taylor Fritz on differences between the world's top two reigning Grand Slam champions.Australian Open

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Friday, July 11, 2025
Photo credits: Jon Buckle/ROLEX

Confronting reigning Grand Slam champions Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner in a major is a devastating degree of difficulty.

US Open finalist Taylor Fritz has faced the the world's top two players in Grand Slams and offered unique insight into the similarities and differences of the two superstars.

Tennis Express

Together, reigning US Open and Australian Open champion Sinner and Roland Garros and Wimbledon winner Alcaraz have combined to capture the last six straight Grand Slam championships.

World No. 1 Sinner will square off against two-time Wimbledon winner Alcaraz in the Wimbledon final on Sunday at 4 p.m.

After bowing to Alcaraz in a fierce four-setter in today's semifinals, Fritz, who fell to Sinner in the US Open final last September, was asked to compare the challenges each man represents.

The fifth-seeded Fritz said Sinner is an "unbelievable" ball striker, while Alcaraz is the most "unpredictable" player in the sport. 

"I'd say I felt pretty comfortable from the ground with Jannik when we played in Turin. I think Jannik typically has a bigger serve, so it's tougher to get in on his return games," Fritz said after losing to Alcaraz 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, 7-6(6) in today's first semifinal. "For me, from the ground I think I had more success rallying and playing with Jannik because he plays a bit flatter, and it's a little bit more predictable. He's unbelievable at what he does playing from the baseline.

"I think Carlos is a little more unpredictable with the slicing and the coming to net and the dropshots. Carlos has a lot of different ways to play.

"I also think Carlos, one thing he does, when he whips his forehand cross, there's a lot of movement away, which is difficult. Jannik is more through the court, which for some people… Just depends who you're playing."

Rocking the red clay with fearless drives, Alcaraz fought off three championship points, battled back from a two-set deficit for the first time in his life and out-dueled Sinner 4-6, 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-6(3), 7-6(2) to successfully defend his Roland Garros title in a dazzling and epic final last month.

The longest French Open final in history was a five hour, 29-minute thrill ride that will go down as a match for the ages.

Prior to that final, Hall of Famer Andre Agassi summed up the Sinner-Alcaraz rivalry as "the best pure ball striker versus the flying saucer."

Today, Fritz said both champions generate massive "raw power" and suggested he'd probably prefer playing the world No. 1—primarily because Alcaraz's speed and versatility is so unsettling.

"For me personally, I'd rather probably deal with the flat one than the ball that's working away from me," Fritz said. "They both generate a lot of just, like, raw power. But I think for me it's a little more uncomfortable to play Carlos just because of the unpredictability of what he's going to do.

"I think I play a lot off of anticipation. You never know what Carlos might just hit like a short kicker and serve and volley on like a 15-30 or something like that, which I feel like if I'm playing Jannik, that's something that's probably not going to happen."

The greatest similarity between the world's top two?

The 27-year-old Fritz said it's a major educational experience to face either champion in a Grand Slam match.

"Every time I play these guys, I learn a lot about what I need to do to improve and get better," Fritz said. "Moving ahead, I just want to keep working on the things that are going to get me better, that are going to help me compete with these guys because at the end of the day, my ultimate goal is to win a slam. I think I'm going to have to at some point beat these guys to do it. It's obviously a tough ask.

"Like I said, if I keep putting myself in these situations and playing them, I learn more about my game and what I need to do differently and what I need to do better to get to that level."

Venus Williams Set for Tennis Return in Washington DC.

All-time great Venus Williams is set to compete for the first time in 2025 at the upcoming Mubadala Citi DC Open.ATP Tour 500

By Erik Gudris | @atntennis | Friday, July 11, 2025
Photo credit: Rob Newell/CameraSport

Venus Williams is set to return to the courts this summer in Washington, D.C.

The all-time great and seven-time major singles champion received a wildcard into the upcoming Mubadala Citi DC Open, the only combined ATP/WTA 500 event.

“I'm excited to accept a wild card to the Mubadala Citi DC Open. There's something truly special about DC: the energy, the fans, the history," Willams said in a statement. "This city has always shown me so much love, and I can’t wait to compete there again!"

Williams, 45, has not competed in a professional tournament since the Miami Open last year where she lost in the first round to Diana Shnaider. Williams has been listed as inactive on the WTA tour website since then.

“We are so excited that Venus will be playing in the Mubadala Citi DC Open this year," said Mark Ein, Mubadala Citi DC Open Chairman. "She has inspired people around the world with her accomplishments on the court and her visionary impact off the court. I know how much it means to our DC fans and community to be able to watch her compete in person this summer.”

Earlier this spring, Indian Wells tournament organizers announced Williams would make her pro return there at the WTA 1000 event. However, Williams later denied that she had any plans to compete there. Williams provided commentary for TNT Sports at Roland-Garros back in May.

Williams last appeared at the DC tournament back in 2022.

Wimbledon | Fritz scrapes into S/F to face an imprerious Alcaraz

The last time an American won Wimbledon was 25 years ago courtesy of Pete Sampras and there is an outside chance that the trophy might go back to the US this year after the first step was taken by Fritz Taylor who defeated Karen Khachanov to reach the semi-finals for the first time. His American […]

The post Wimbledon | Fritz scrapes into S/F to face an imprerious Alcaraz appeared first on Tennis Threads Magazine.

Shelton's Top-10 Debut Makes Three Americans in the ATP's Top-10 for the First Time Since 2006

The Americans could have four in the coming months. Andre Agassi

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Monday June 16, 2025

American men’s tennis continues to grow its momentum. After landing two men in the quarterfinals at Roland-Garros for the first time since 1996, the American men now have three players ranked inside the Top 10 for the first time since 2006.

Tennis Express

Enter Ben Shelton, who reached the semifinals last week in Stuttgart, and enters the Top-10 for the first time in Monday’s ATP rankings.

Shelton, 22, is the first American man born in the 2000s to achieve the feat.

Shelton is joined by Taylor Fritz, who returns to No.4 after winning the Stuttgart title, and Tommy Paul, who is at No.8, thanks to his quarterfinal run at Roland-Garros.

The last time three American men held Top 10 rankings at the same time was April 17th, 2006, when Andy Roddick was No. 4, James Blake was No. 7 and Andre Agassi was No. 10.


Shelton is the fourth ATP player – and second American, along with Paul – to make his Top-10 debut in 2024. The other two players are Jack Draper and Lorenzo Musetti.

Diallo Cracks Top-50

Canada’s Gabriel Diallo, 23, cracks the Top-50 at No.44 thanks to his title at ‘S-Hertogenbosch. Diallo became just the second Canadian to win a grass court title on Sunday, and the first since Greg Rusedski in 1993.

Italy’s Flavio Cobolli also cracks a career-high at No.24.

Zizou Bergs (+14 to No.49) and Reilly Opelka (+12 to No.75) were also among the big risers in this week’s ATP rankings. Opelka has risen over 200 spots since January. He played Brisbane at No.293 this year.

Bergs, who lost to Diallo in the ‘S-Hertogenbosh final, is back at his career-high.