Raducanu Hires Francisco Roig as New Coach

By Richard Pagliaro | Tuesday, August 5, 2025
Photo credit: Mubadala Citi DC Open Facebook

Emma Raducanu has hired Franciso Roig in an effort to continue a renaissance season.

The 2021 US Open champion has hired Rafael Nadal’s former coach through the end of the 2025 season, PA News Agency reports.

2017 US Open

The 57-year-old Spaniard was a long-time coaching member of Nadal’s team, later coached Matteo Berrettini and has experience coaching on the WTA Tour as well. Roig, who reached a career-high rank of No. 60 on the ATP Tour, also coached 2017 US Open champion Sloane Stephens.

Roig succeeds Mark Petchey, who had been coaching Raducanu on an informal basis since the Miami Open. Tennis Channel analyst had agreed to work with Raducanu through the end of the grass-court season, but could not commit to coaching her full time because of his television commentary obligations.

Working with Petchey, who previously coached Andy Murray, Raducanu registered some of her best results in years.

The 22-year-old Raducanu reached quarterfinals at Miami and Queen’s Club and was a semifinalist in Washington, DC. Working with Petchey, Raducanu applied her athleticism and found the joy in her tennis.

The 33rd-ranked Raducanu has defeated former Grand Slam champions Naomi Osaka and Marketa Vondrusova in recent months and led world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka by a break in both sets before bowing 7-6(6), 6-4 in the Wimbledon third round.

After that match, Raducanu said she hoped to continue working with Petchey, but understood his position.

“Yeah, it’s very difficult. He obviously also has his commentating commitments,” Raducanu said at Wimbledon. “He agreed to kind of help me until the end of Wimbledon and then we kind of see from there because he gave up some work to work with me here, which I really appreciate and I’m grateful for.”

The challenge Roig faces is encouraging Raducanu to continue to apply her athleticism, all-court skills and versatility, particularly against big hitters, who can overpower her. Wimbledon finalist Amanda Anisimova crushed Raducanu 6-2, 6-1 in Montreal playing bold first-strike tennis.

Still, Raducanu should be encouraged with the strides she made working with Petchey that prompted No. 1 Sabalenka to make a bold assertion about the Briton.

“I cannot predict anything, but I definitely sure that, maybe not in a month, but maybe a bit longer period, but she definitely going to get back in top,” Sabalenka said after her Wimbledon win over Raducanu. “She’s fighting. She’s playing much better.

“She’s more consistent. I can see that mentally she’s healthy. I think that’s really important. Yeah, I’m pretty sure she’s getting there.”

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina blasts ATP scheduling in Toronto – Frustration at 11

Alejandro

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina has publicly criticized the ATP for what he sees as unfair and inconsiderate scheduling. The Spaniard expressed frustration after being assigned an 11:00 a.m. match at the Canada Masters in Toronto. 

The recently-crowned top-20 player will open Friday's action alongside Jakub Mensik, an hour and a half earlier that all other matches that day, which are scheduled to begin at 12:30 or later!

Staying an hour away from the tournament venue, Alejandro emphasized the difficulty of preparing properly under such conditions. Davidovich Fokina's attempts to adjust the schedule were rejected.

The ATP cited tickets, TV rights and other logistical factors that prevent them from changing the schedule. The Spaniard argued that player well-being continues to be ignored, stating they are not taken into consideration. 

The Washington finalist pointed out the inconsistency in scheduling, highlighting that he and his rival have to start the match at 11:00 while there are many courts available to make the schedule more even and flexible.

In a strong closing lines of his statement, Alejandro claimed the ATP regularly makes empty promises to fix issues. However, they remain only on paper, as nothing ever changes.

His post offers a rare glimpse into the frustrations competitors face behind the scenes and major stadiums, admitting it's not as great at t looks from the outside!

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, Washington 2025

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, Washington 2025© Stream screenshot

 

Alejandro wasted three match points against Alex de Minaur in a heartbreaking Washington final. The Spaniard cracked the top-20 with those points and defeated Corentin Moutet in the first match in Toronto. 

Davidovich Fokina will seek his spot in the last 16 against the Miami Open champion, Jakub Mensik.

"Today, I want to share my disappointment and frustration with ATP. Tomorrow, every match starts at 12:30 except ours, which has been scheduled at 11:00.

We are staying one hour away from the club, which means we have to wake up extremely early to arrive in good condition. We have asked for a change, but the answer was that everything has already been sold, including tickets and TV rights.

Once again, it's clear that players are not taken into consideration. Today, it happens to others, tomorrow it's me, and from the day after, all matches return to 12:30. There are plenty of available courts, and yet we are the only ones playing at 11:00.

The ATP always promises they will fix things, but nothing ever changes. This is not the first time it has happened, and when you are inside, you realize it's not as great as it looks from the outside," Alejandro Davidovich Fokina wrote.

Legendary coach knows what Carlos Alcaraz needs to do to go to the next level

Alcaraz Alcaraz

One of Carlos Alcaraz's main goals this season was to finally find that consistency that he had always lacked in previous seasons. The young Spanish ace has already shown that he has a talent beyond all logic and has already won a lot if you consider that he is just 22 years old, as well as having been at the top of the ATP rankings for 36 weeks and having won the silver medal at the Paris Olympics a year ago.

However, the rise of his top rival Jannik Sinner has forced Carlitos and his team to look for new solutions to get closer to the top of the ATP rankings, which the Italian ace has monopolized for 60 weeks in a row.

Rick Macci has advice for Alcaraz

Alcaraz's 2025 had not started brilliantly, indeed the young star from Murcia had a crisis during the spring suffering a shocking elimination in the second round of the Miami Open. He took a little vacation with his family after that tournament and made his intentions clear, returning to play his best tennis on his beloved red clay.

Since that time, Carlitos has been almost unstoppable lifting the trophy in Monte Carlo, Rome, Roland Garros and the Queen's Club. The world No.2 reached his third final in a row at the Wimbledon Championships and hoped to become the youngest ever to win six Major titles, but his run in London ended in the final against a deluxe version of Sinner who made Italian tennis history.

Through his official X profile, legendary coach Rick Macci – who also worked with the Williams sisters (Venus and Serena) at the beginning of their careers – gave an important piece of advice to the 22-year-old Spaniard: “Carlos can to go to the next level if he controls the center of the court. Because he is the Spanish Cheetah he can play too far back and run track. If he is dealing the cards on the rise and plays with his eyes he has a better shot at the prize."

Venus Williams Set for Tennis Return in Washington DC.

All-time great Venus Williams is set to compete for the first time in 2025 at the upcoming Mubadala Citi DC Open.ATP Tour 500

By Erik Gudris | @atntennis | Friday, July 11, 2025
Photo credit: Rob Newell/CameraSport

Venus Williams is set to return to the courts this summer in Washington, D.C.

The all-time great and seven-time major singles champion received a wildcard into the upcoming Mubadala Citi DC Open, the only combined ATP/WTA 500 event.

“I'm excited to accept a wild card to the Mubadala Citi DC Open. There's something truly special about DC: the energy, the fans, the history," Willams said in a statement. "This city has always shown me so much love, and I can’t wait to compete there again!"

Williams, 45, has not competed in a professional tournament since the Miami Open last year where she lost in the first round to Diana Shnaider. Williams has been listed as inactive on the WTA tour website since then.

“We are so excited that Venus will be playing in the Mubadala Citi DC Open this year," said Mark Ein, Mubadala Citi DC Open Chairman. "She has inspired people around the world with her accomplishments on the court and her visionary impact off the court. I know how much it means to our DC fans and community to be able to watch her compete in person this summer.”

Earlier this spring, Indian Wells tournament organizers announced Williams would make her pro return there at the WTA 1000 event. However, Williams later denied that she had any plans to compete there. Williams provided commentary for TNT Sports at Roland-Garros back in May.

Williams last appeared at the DC tournament back in 2022.