Stefanos Tsitsipas gets brutally honest on tense relationship with father in past

Apostolos

Stefanos Tsitsipas is the first to admit that his relationship with his father has never been perfect but also adds that it is only now as transparent as possible.

As you probably know, the Greek tennis star had a very messy split with his father in early 2024 August, when he shouted at Apostolos and made him leave the stands of the Montreal Masters. The very next day, they put an end to their partnership. However, what happened in Montreal wasn't the sole instance as it had been rumored for quite some time that there had been a lot of tension in their relationship.

After spending a full year without his coach and lasting only two tournaments in his most recent partnership with Goran Ivanisevic, Tsitsipas decided to return to the factory settings and bring back his father – who guided him in the past to two Grand Slam finals and a career-high ranking of No. 3 in the world.

Tsitsipas: We've had bad moments but the communication has never been better

"It's great having him back in the team. Well, it's one of those things that nothing else can beat. I feel like we've worked together for so many years. We've built so many amazing memories together. Obviously, a father-son relationship can be also complicated from time to time," the 26-year-old said on Tennis Channel. 

"I won't deny that we've had our good moments, we've had our bad moments, miscommunications, not being able to communicate with ease in certain aspects or ways. But you know, we're not perfect. We're trying to figure it out. I've been very open with him, which I've never, I've never allowed myself to be that open and that transparent with him ever."

On Saturday, Tsitsipas clinched his first win since returning Apostolos to his team after overcoming Fabian Marozsan 7-6 (3) 6-2 in his opening Cincinnati Masters match. In the Cincinnati third round, the 25th-seeded Greek will take on Benjamin Bonzi.

Tsitsipas is currently ranked at No. 30 in the world and he has struggled with his consistency and results for the past two years. It remains to be seen if his father can help him return to where he once was was.

Report: Elena Rybakina’s Coach Stefano Vukov Has Been Reinstated

By Chris Oddo | Friday August 8, 2025

Stefano Vukov, the longtime coach of former Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina, has appealed his year-long ban from the WTA Tour and won.

Vukov, who was suspended by the WTA Tour for breaching its code of conduct in January, was barred from receiving credentials at sanctioned events.

Reportedly, Vukov entered into private arbitration with the WTA as part of his appeal, and attended a hearing that took place before Wimbledon.

The long, drawn-out saga has taken place over the span of a year, with the tour first provisionally suspending Vukov near the end of 2024, then officially doing so on January 31st. All the while, Rybakina expressed the sentiment that she’d prefer it if Vukov could continue coaching her.

Rybakina cut ties with Vukov ahead of last year’s US Open, then hired Goran Ivanisevic in the off-season. In January she announced that Vukov was going to come back into the fold, but he was soon banned. Still, Ivanisevic ended up parting ways with Rybakina rather than stay in a situation he called “sad and strange.”

Previously, members of Rybakina’s team had appealed to the WTA that they feared for her safety. Vukov stayed close to his former charge, and inherited agent duties, while Davide Sanguinetti stepped in to coach her.

According to the Athletic, Vukov initiated an appeal this spring, and has been reinstated. 

“The WTA is fully committed to providing a safe and respectful environment for all athletes and other participants, as set out in our WTA Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Code,” the WTA said in a statement to the Athletic. “Any sanctions issued following a breach of these safeguarding rules are carefully considered and are subject to appeal before an independent tribunal.

“While case details remain confidential, we can confirm that Mr. Vukov is eligible to receive credentials at WTA events. We will not be commenting further.”

Sanguinetti has been supportive of Vukov, and could potentially keep his role in the team even after Vukov returns.

Tenth-ranked Rybakina will face Mexico’s Renata Zarazua in second-round action at the Cincinnati Open.

Coach Davide Sanguinetti reveals his honest approach to Elena Rybakina

Australian Open

Davide Sanguinetti says he definitely has a different approach to WTA players because female athletes are "more sensitive" and therefore he has to be a bit softer in his methods. 

In January, Elena Rybakina went through a very tumultuous period when she decided to bring back Stefano Vukov to her team – that didn't sit well with Goran Ivanisevic at all – who left the Kazakh's team as soon as she finished her Australian Open campaign. To make it all worse for the 26-year-old, the WTA concluded their investigation into Vukov's behavior and he was handed a one-year ban from coaching.

Following the Vukov ban news, Rybakina hired former Italian tennis player Sanguinetti. In the past, the Italian worked with Dinara Safina, Vincent Spadea, Go Soeda, and Brandon Nakashima. As you probably know, Safina played her last pro match in 2011 so a lot of time passed between the last time that Sanguinetti coached on the WTA Tour.

Rybakina's coach Sanguinetti: We definitely need to be more sensitive to girls

"We definitely need to be more sensitive to girls, who have different ways of interacting. It was new to me; I'm learning and adapting," the Italian coach said on Italian channel Supertennis.

One of the reasons why Ivanisevic left Rybakina's team was the fact that he thought he would be the lone coach in her team. But after she decided to bring back Vukov after all the controversies that surrounded them, Ivanisevic decided it simply wasn't worth it. 

When Sanguinetti arrived in the 26-year-old's team, he was directly asked how he felt about Vukov. And he confirmed that he was fine with Vukov. 

"Vukov and Elena are close, he will always be there. Stefano and I talk a lot, we are on the same wavelength. It’s not a problem to have two coaches, it’s almost a trend now," the 52-year-old said in February.

Meanwhile, Rybakina is in the midst of a great Montreal run, where she made the semifinal.

Stefanos Tsitsipas writes a message on X during his huge crisis

Apostolos

Stefanos Tsitsipas is certainly going through the worst moment of his career and his crisis has not found any solution for the moment, despite the fact that the Greek ace has made several attempts to return to play his best tennis.

The other players have improved and know his weaknesses, while the former world number 3 has lost all his certainties and has moved far away from the top positions of the ATP rankings. Fans and insiders were very curious when he started collaborating with Goran Ivanisevic, a tennis legend who had worked with 24-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic in the past. Everyone thought that the former Croatian champion was the right person to bring 'Tsitsi' back on the right path, but their partnership ended after just two tournaments (Halle and Wimbledon, in which he achieved disastrous results).

For this reason, the winner of the 2019 ATP Finals has chosen to return to work together with his father Apostolos (from whom he had separated about a year ago). Their first tournament together did not go in the best possible way, considering that the champion from Athens was immediately eliminated at the Toronto Masters 1000.

Tsitsipas' message

Stefanos only has the Cincinnati Masters 1000 available to regain some confidence in view of the US Open – the last Major of the season – in which he has never achieved results worthy of his talent.

Meanwhile, the former Top 5 player – who also ended his love-story with his colleague Paula Badosa – wrote a post on his official X profile reflecting on how tennis is a complicated sport.

“Tennis is beautiful not because it’s graceful, but because it’s brutal. It shows you at your weakest, sweating, failing, breathing hard, asking questions you don’t have answers to. And in all that, you find something worth holding onto. Something that keeps you stepping back to the baseline” – he wrote.

A player with Tsitsipas' talent certainly deserves a better position in the ATP rankings, but he must first resolve his inner conflicts.

Stefanos Tsitsipas slips in Toronto – Goran Ivanisevic out, struggles stay

Apostolo

Stefanos Tsitsipas continues to search for answers as his difficult season rolls on. The Greek ended his brief collaboration with Goran Ivanisevic after two tournaments, returning to a more familiar setup with his father, Apostolo, as head coach.  

However, the change has not provided the desired results, at least not in Toronto. World no. 30 lost in the second round to Christopher O'Connell 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 in two hours and one minutes.

Thus, Stefanos extended a concerning trend: he has not managed to win back-to-back ATP matches since the ATP 500 event in Barcelona in April. For the moment, he remains in the top-30, although that may change quickly. 

The most recent loss at the sixth Masters 1000 event of the season further highlights the ongoing challenges Stefanos is facing. Despite efforts to reset his team and regain momentum, the Greek is playing miles below his best.

Tsitsipas worked with Ivanisevic during two early exits in Halle and Wimbledon. The question lingered about his openness to bring necessary changes and integrate new coaching voices.

While Goran could not stay his coach following his remarks about Stefanos' lack of will and his terrible physical shape, many questioned his decision to reunite with his father, as they had issues before.

Stefanos Tsitsipas, Toronto 2025

Stefanos Tsitsipas, Toronto 2025© Stream screenshot

 

Tsitsipas will seek deeper runs in Cincinnati and New York, although it remains unclear how much can he offer with low confidence and ongoing back issues that threaten to end his career way before the 30th birthday.

Stefanos and Christopher struggled to find the first serve. The Greek stayed behind his rival on the second serve and gave serve away four times, three in the decider. The Aussie denied six of eight break points and sent the 2018 runner-up packing.

Stefanos Tsitispas Resumes Working with Dad as Coach

By Richard Pagliaro | Wednesday, July 30, 2025
Photo credit: Matthew Calvis

Stefanos Tsitsipas has rehired a familiar face as coach.

Tsitsipas has resumed working with his father and original coach Apostolos Tsitsipas, he announced on his Instagram stories today.

“Some trips tend to go back to where they started,” Tsitsipas posted on Instagram. “After a period of separation, I found the person who believed in me first, my father. I’m grateful to share the short and the road with him again.

“We have gone through each chapter of this journey together and the next one seems to me to be the right one. Sometimes coming home is the boldest step forward.”

Tennis Express player gear
Tennis Express player gear

The announcement comes one week after Tstisipas and former Wimbledon champion and ex-Novak Djokovic coach Goran Ivanisevic split ending a brief partnership.

A candid Ivanisevic was critical of Tsitsipas’ work habits at the end of their partnership.

“He has to resolve his back issue. I was shocked. I’ve never seen such an underprepared player in my life,” Ivanisevic, who won a Wimbledon title as a player and coached Novak Djokovic to his last 12 major titles, said.

Former world No. 3 Tsitsipas won his 12th career title in Dubai in February, but the summer has been a season of struggle for the Greek. Tsitsipas has posted a 4-5 record in his last nine matches, fell in the Wimbledon first round and split with former girlfriend and WTA star Paula Badosa. The pair were schedule to play next month’s US Open Mixed Doubles, but withdrew from that event.

Tsitsipas, whose ranking has dropped to No. 30, will try to jump-start his North American summer hard-court season facing Aussie Christopher O’Connell in Toronto today.

Though Tsitsipas has worked with ex ATP standouts Ivanisevic, Mark Philippoussis and Thomas Enqvist in the past, he continues to return to working with father Apostolos. Time will tell whether father and son can remedy some of the issues that have plagued the talented Greek, including adapting his style to faster surfaces, fixing his backhand return, which opponents tend to target, and attempting to impose his all-court skill and athleticism rather than just standing back at the baseline seeking forehands.  

The level of tennis has risen too high for Novak Djokovic: all the details inside

Belgrade

Novak Djokovic's goal of winning his 25th Major title by the end of the 2025 season will not be easy to achieve, as only the US Open scheduled in New York at the end of the summer is missing. The Serbian legend has indeed raised his level in Grand Slam tournaments, where he has defeated excellent players and reached the semifinals on all occasions (in Melbourne, Paris and London), but he has not given the feeling that he can make tennis history once again.

The collective feeling is that the two current leaders of the men's tour – Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz – are superior to Nole at this stage of his career and it will be very tough for the former world No. 1 to beat them in a best-of-five-set match at 38 years old.

The veteran from Belgrade wants to become the oldest ever to win a Grand Slam title by uncorking the record from Ken Rosewall, but time is running out and Novak will also have to hope for some luck in New York in about a month.

Djokovic expected to return to action in Cincinnati

Djokovic is enjoying some vacation in Croatia right now and has been spotted alongside former Real Madrid footballer Luka Modric, while a few days ago he announced that he will not participate in the Toronto Masters 1000 which starts later this month.

In a recent interview with 'Gol', his former coach Goran Ivanisevic – who has just finished working with Stefanos Tsitsipas – gave his honest verdict on Nole's chances of shocking the world for the umpteenth time: “When you’re not 100 percent with Sinner… and even when you are, your chances aren’t great,” said the 2001 Wimbledon winner.

I thought Novak could do it, but unfortunately he wasn’t completely ready. Djokovic is the greatest tennis player of all time, but what these two are doing is another level of tennis.”

Novak's next tournament is expected to be the Cincinnati Masters 1000, where he triumphed in 2023 for the last time.