Roger Federer returns to Shanghai a year after practicing with Carlos Alcaraz

Alberto Ramos-Vinolas

Roger Federer will return to Shanghai this fall. The two-time champion will embrace the Roger Federer and friends celebrity doubles match on October 10, offering his fans another chance to see him in action on the court.

Last year, the Swiss spent a couple of entertaining days in Shanghai, exploring the city and enjoying the action at the eighth Masters 1000 event of the season. 

The two-time winner met Novak Djokovic, watched Jannik Sinner and trained with Carlos Alcaraz on an indoor court, joking and asking what he was doing there.

Federer was 23-6 during his eight visits to Shanghai. The legend defeated Novak Djokovic on his debut in 2010 before losing the final to Andy Murray. The same rivals met in the semi-final two years later, and the Briton celebrated in straight sets.

Roger fell to Gael Monfils in 2013, still seeking his first title in China. It finally came in 2014 over Novak Djokovic and Gilles Simon. Alberto Ramos-Vinolas stunned him in 2015, and the crowd favorite bounced back stronger in 2017.

Federer ousted Juan Martin del Potro and Rafael Nadal en route to his second and last title in China. The Swiss played a sublime match, dropping eight points in his games and breaking his greatest rival's serve three times en route to a 6-4, 6-3 victory. 

Roger competed as the defending champion in 2018 and suffered a surprising loss to Borna Coric in the semi-final in straight sets. Six years ago, the two-time winner battled in China for the eighth and final time. 

He lost a tight encounter to Alexander Zverev in the quarter-final, wrapping up his Shanghai Masters journey with a 23-6 score. Federer enjoyed his time in China last October, and the fans will see him again in two months. 

Raducanu Hires Francisco Roig as New Coach

By Richard Pagliaro | Tuesday, August 5, 2025
Photo credit: Mubadala Citi DC Open Facebook

Emma Raducanu has hired Franciso Roig in an effort to continue a renaissance season.

The 2021 US Open champion has hired Rafael Nadal’s former coach through the end of the 2025 season, PA News Agency reports.

2017 US Open

The 57-year-old Spaniard was a long-time coaching member of Nadal’s team, later coached Matteo Berrettini and has experience coaching on the WTA Tour as well. Roig, who reached a career-high rank of No. 60 on the ATP Tour, also coached 2017 US Open champion Sloane Stephens.

Roig succeeds Mark Petchey, who had been coaching Raducanu on an informal basis since the Miami Open. Tennis Channel analyst had agreed to work with Raducanu through the end of the grass-court season, but could not commit to coaching her full time because of his television commentary obligations.

Working with Petchey, who previously coached Andy Murray, Raducanu registered some of her best results in years.

The 22-year-old Raducanu reached quarterfinals at Miami and Queen’s Club and was a semifinalist in Washington, DC. Working with Petchey, Raducanu applied her athleticism and found the joy in her tennis.

The 33rd-ranked Raducanu has defeated former Grand Slam champions Naomi Osaka and Marketa Vondrusova in recent months and led world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka by a break in both sets before bowing 7-6(6), 6-4 in the Wimbledon third round.

After that match, Raducanu said she hoped to continue working with Petchey, but understood his position.

“Yeah, it’s very difficult. He obviously also has his commentating commitments,” Raducanu said at Wimbledon. “He agreed to kind of help me until the end of Wimbledon and then we kind of see from there because he gave up some work to work with me here, which I really appreciate and I’m grateful for.”

The challenge Roig faces is encouraging Raducanu to continue to apply her athleticism, all-court skills and versatility, particularly against big hitters, who can overpower her. Wimbledon finalist Amanda Anisimova crushed Raducanu 6-2, 6-1 in Montreal playing bold first-strike tennis.

Still, Raducanu should be encouraged with the strides she made working with Petchey that prompted No. 1 Sabalenka to make a bold assertion about the Briton.

“I cannot predict anything, but I definitely sure that, maybe not in a month, but maybe a bit longer period, but she definitely going to get back in top,” Sabalenka said after her Wimbledon win over Raducanu. “She’s fighting. She’s playing much better.

“She’s more consistent. I can see that mentally she’s healthy. I think that’s really important. Yeah, I’m pretty sure she’s getting there.”

Alcaraz: Grass Game Most Beautiful Form of Tennis

"The style that the people bring to the court when they play on grass, I think is so beautiful," Carlos Alcaraz said. Alcaraz

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Saturday, June 28, 2025
Photo credit: Rob Newell/CameraSport

An old adage states beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Grass-court tennis is the game’s most alluring surface for Carlos Alcaraz.

Tennis Express

Two-time Wimbledon champion Alcaraz proclaims the lawn game is the most transcendent tennis for players and fans.

“I think the most beautiful tennis that we can watch is on grass,” Alcaraz told the media at Wimbledon today. “The style that the people bring to the court when they play on grass, I think is so beautiful.

“The sound of the ball. The movement is really tough, but when you get it, it's kind of you're flying (smiling).”

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 

 
 

A post shared by Wimbledon (@wimbledon)

Grass rewards the five-time Grand Slam champion’s athleticism, aggression and all-court acumen, which are among the reasons Alcaraz loves lawns.

“It's just pretty well to me because I really want to hit slices, dropshots, going to the net all the time, playing aggressively,” Alcaraz said. “I think on grass it's the style that you have to play. So that's what I like the most.”

Riding a career-best 18-match winning streak into his Wimbledon title defense, Alcaraz opens Centre Court play against Italian veteran Fabio Fognini on Monday at 1:30 p.m.

It’s Alcaraz's first match since he beat Jiri Lehecka to win Queen’s Club—his fourth career grass-court championship equaling Rafa Nadal and Feliciano Lopez for most by a Spanish man in the Oepn Era.

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 

 
 

A post shared by Wimbledon (@wimbledon)

The two-time reigning Roland Garros and Wimbledon winner is aiming to join Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic in capturing three consecutive Wimbledon crowns in the Open Era.

Alcaraz said today he’s hunting the title—not necessarily that legacy list.

“I'm coming here thinking that, yeah, I really want to win the title. I really want to lift the trophy,” Alcaraz said. “Not thinking about how much players have done it, you know, winning three Wimbledons in a row.

“I'm just thinking about, okay, I just want to be ready and just want to prepare myself in the best way possible, just to start the tournament with a lot of confident. Obviously I feel a lot of confident right now (smiling).

"But just thinking about still going forward, it's still doing the good things, and start the tournament. So two weeks could be really long on a Grand Slam, but right now I'm not thinking about who I could join if I win three Wimbledons in a row.”

While media and fan speculation over Alcaraz’s relationship with US Open mixed doubles partner Emma Raducanu has run rampant since his UK return, the five-time Grand Slam champion has been busy teeing off with another British major winner.

“I play some golf. Actually, I play with Andy Murray on Monday and a few more players,” Alcaraz said of post Queen’s Club activity. “Just went to the center a little bit. Just wanted to go to the center a little bit, walk around, have a good food, and just having quality time with them doing some stuff that probably I wouldn't be able to do it while the tournament is on.”

Sakkari to Putintseva: "Nobody Likes You"

The Greek went on the verbal attack after her hard-fought win over Putintseva. Andy Murray

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Sunday June 22, 2025

Maria Sakkari has taken a page from the Andy Murray playbook and called out another player.

Tennis Express

The 86th-ranked Greek wild card got into a spat with Yulia Putintseva after notching a 7-5, 7-6 win over her on Sunday in Bad Homburg. On-court microphones picked up Sakkari telling Putintseva “Nobody likes you” after the first match of the 2025 Bad Homburg Open was completed.


The pair exchanged more than those words, as Sakkari approached Putintseva to clarify what was being said.

"When you shake hands with someone, look them in the eyes," Sakkari said.

She continued her attack of the World No.27 during her post-match interview saying: "I don't think she's going to invite me for dinner for the rest of our lives, but I don't care, to be honest. I have very good friends and I'll go to dinner with them. Let me leave it here, and say that I have respect for her as a player, but that's it."

It reminds us of the time that Murray told Lukas Rosol that everybody hated him:

We’re actually not sure what is meaner: giving someone a bad handshake or telling someone that nobody likes them?

Sakkari will face either Belinda Bencic or Ekaterina Alexandrova in the second round at Bad Homburg.