Opelka Breaks De Minaur, And Duck, In Cincinnati

By Chris Oddo | Sunday August 10, 2025

Reilly Opelka turned a lost cause into found confidence on Sunday at the Cincinnati Open.

tennis express pro player gear
tennis express pro player gear

The bomb-serving American earned his first career win over Alex De Minaur in six tries, and he did it in decisive fashion, coming through 7-6(6) 6-4 to set a third-round clash with Argentina’s Francisco Comesana.

“I didn’t serve as well as I’d have liked to, but everything else was working,” said Opelka, who hadn’t faced De Minaur since 2022. “My forehand helped me a lot and my backhand, playing with a lot of offense and I was pretty consistent from the baseline the whole match.”

73rd-ranked Opelka is now 2-1 against the Top-10 in 2025, after defeating Novak Djokovic in Brisbane at the start of the season.

After starting the season at 283 in the rankings due to an injury hiatus that forced him off the ATP Tour for nearly two years, 27-year-old Opelka is now up to 65 in the ATP live rankings. He had hip surgery in 2022, then right wrist surgery in 2023.

Raducanu Hires Francisco Roig as New Coach

By Richard Pagliaro | Tuesday, August 5, 2025
Photo credit: Mubadala Citi DC Open Facebook

Emma Raducanu has hired Franciso Roig in an effort to continue a renaissance season.

The 2021 US Open champion has hired Rafael Nadal’s former coach through the end of the 2025 season, PA News Agency reports.

2017 US Open

The 57-year-old Spaniard was a long-time coaching member of Nadal’s team, later coached Matteo Berrettini and has experience coaching on the WTA Tour as well. Roig, who reached a career-high rank of No. 60 on the ATP Tour, also coached 2017 US Open champion Sloane Stephens.

Roig succeeds Mark Petchey, who had been coaching Raducanu on an informal basis since the Miami Open. Tennis Channel analyst had agreed to work with Raducanu through the end of the grass-court season, but could not commit to coaching her full time because of his television commentary obligations.

Working with Petchey, who previously coached Andy Murray, Raducanu registered some of her best results in years.

The 22-year-old Raducanu reached quarterfinals at Miami and Queen’s Club and was a semifinalist in Washington, DC. Working with Petchey, Raducanu applied her athleticism and found the joy in her tennis.

The 33rd-ranked Raducanu has defeated former Grand Slam champions Naomi Osaka and Marketa Vondrusova in recent months and led world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka by a break in both sets before bowing 7-6(6), 6-4 in the Wimbledon third round.

After that match, Raducanu said she hoped to continue working with Petchey, but understood his position.

“Yeah, it’s very difficult. He obviously also has his commentating commitments,” Raducanu said at Wimbledon. “He agreed to kind of help me until the end of Wimbledon and then we kind of see from there because he gave up some work to work with me here, which I really appreciate and I’m grateful for.”

The challenge Roig faces is encouraging Raducanu to continue to apply her athleticism, all-court skills and versatility, particularly against big hitters, who can overpower her. Wimbledon finalist Amanda Anisimova crushed Raducanu 6-2, 6-1 in Montreal playing bold first-strike tennis.

Still, Raducanu should be encouraged with the strides she made working with Petchey that prompted No. 1 Sabalenka to make a bold assertion about the Briton.

“I cannot predict anything, but I definitely sure that, maybe not in a month, but maybe a bit longer period, but she definitely going to get back in top,” Sabalenka said after her Wimbledon win over Raducanu. “She’s fighting. She’s playing much better.

“She’s more consistent. I can see that mentally she’s healthy. I think that’s really important. Yeah, I’m pretty sure she’s getting there.”

Alexander Zverev sounds off on two-week Masters format, calls out ATP bosses

Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev reveals he is not a fan of two-week Masters tournaments and suggests the ATP made the schedule harder for players instead of making it easier after repeated calls to make changes to what many think is a pretty crowded calendar.

In the past, Indian Wells and Miami were the only Masters tournaments longer than a week. In recent years, several other tournaments from the 1000-category became a 10-day or 12-day events, with Monte Carlo and Paris remaining as the only tournaments from the category that take a week to finish. 

Zverev, who turned 28 in April and has been around for long enough to know the difference between the past and the new format, doesn't think the idea is great at all. 

Zverev: I think all the players loved the old Masters format…

During his appearance on the Nothing Major Show, the German tennis star noted that Masters tournaments are mandatory and that seven of the nine tournaments from the category last for more than a week. Then, the three-time Grand Slam finalist declared Monte Carlo and Paris as "the best two weeks on the ATP Tour."

“I mean, I won it, which was even more awesome for me, but you get there, you play your five matches, and you get out of there. You do not have to stick around or practice in between matches. That is how Masters events used to be and I think all the players loved it. Now the ATP has made four mandatory 500 events for you to play, which used to be three, now it’s four. So you don’t get under 20 events except if you are pulling out of the big events," Zverev added.

To Zverev's defense, some of his colleagues have also spoken out against the new format, arguing that there is no need for a Masters tournament to take longer than a week and that it only makes the calendar harder. But on the other side, some also defended the new format, arguing that a usual day off between matches helps a lot to regenerate for the next match. 

Meanwhile, Zverev is playing at the ongoing 1000-level event in Toronto, where he is due to meet Francisco Cerundolo in the round-of-16.

Kyrgios Talks Potential New Career

By Richard Pagliaro | Friday, August 1, 2025
Photo credit: Rob Newell/CameraSport

Nick Kyrgios’ next career could see him pushing buttons.

In an interview at the Esports World Cup 2025, held in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, this week, Kyrgios confessed his first sports love was not tennis.

Instead, he favored gaming and basketball.

Australian Open

“My passion was basketball and gaming,” said Kyrgios, sporting a black Call of Duty t-shirt during his interview. “To be thrown into a sport where tennis is very clean cut. You know, I’m very rough around the edges and I didn’t really fit the mold for a tennis player. And I really struggled with that early in my career.”

The devoted Boston Celtics fans said he’s spent hours playing Fortnite and Call of Duty. Kyrgios said his gaming compulsion often came at the expense of tennis training and tournament play on the ATP Tour.

The former Australian Open doubles champion said he’s dream of being a professional gamer.

“I would love to be [an esports] player,” Kyrgios said. “I’ve been criticized in my career for not putting enough time on the court. And I’ve missed tournaments and training because I’ve just been gaming purely because I love it and I don’t care.

“The thing about it is like esports continue to grow. You know, it’s always going to evolve, technology’s going to get better, a new game’s going to come out.” 

The 2022 Wimbledon finalist shared he dropped “F-Bombs” in front of the Royal Box during his four-set loss to Novak Djokovic, but vowed he’s not going to change his style to fit traditional tennis norms.

“And now it seems I’m a bit more embraced. And I’m glad I’m able to put on a show,” Kyrgios said. “You know, when I played in front of the Royal Box at Wimbledon, I was throwing F-Bombs…

“But look, it’s been a struggle to kind of fit in. But you know now I kind of embrace it. I’m not going to change for anyone and it took me all the way here, so it paid off.” 

Picture: Novak Djokovic takes paradise break in Mykonos with his family

accomplished player

After the semi-final run at Wimbledon and his fifth straight loss to Jannik Sinner, Novak Djokovic is enjoying a well-earned break with his family on the stunning Greek island of Mykonos.

The legend has embraced the summer sun, extending his vacation after previously spending time in Montenegro and Croatia, his regular July destinations.

Known for his intense dedication to outdoor activities with his kids, Novak is now fully embracing that mode – beaches, clear blue waters and quality time with his beloved ones away from the court.

Mykonos, with its idyllic landscapes and calm atmosphere, offers the perfect setting for Djokovic to recharge physically and mentally ahead of the upcoming challenges in Cincinnati and the US Open.

The 38-year-old should hit the court again in two weeks at the Masters 1000 event in Cincinnati. It will be Novak's first hard-court event since fighting for the Miami Masters crown at the end of March.

Djokovic defends only 100 points at the upcoming two notable events. That opens the window for him to reduce the gap to the rivals in front of him, especially if he embraces deep runs in Ohio and New York.

Novak Djokovic, Wimbledon 2025

Novak Djokovic, Wimbledon 2025© Stream screenshot

 

Novak is eager to play at his best at the US Open and extend his notable run at Majors, having reached three semi-finals in 2025. For now, the 24-time Major winner remains in vacation mode, soaking up the Aegean sun and preparing for the road ahead.

Despite his age, the 38-year-old is still the third-strongest link on the ATP Tour this season, miles behind Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner but still in front of much younger competitors. 

The most accomplished player of all time is still eager to chase notable titles and extend his everlasting legacy for a few more years.

Wilson Unveils UItra v5

Wilson Ultra v5 endorsed by Alex deMinaur, Marta Kostyuk, Zheng Qinwen.Alex de Minaur

By Tennis Now | @TennisNow | Tuesday, July 15, 2025
Photo credit: Wilson

Wilson has launched the new Ultra v5 racquet.

Brand ambassador Marta Kostyuk is celebrating stepping into electric indigo.

Tennis Express

Built for intermediate to advanced athletes, Wilson said in a statement: "Ultra v5 unlocks a broader range of shot potential, making it the most versatile Ultra racquet Wilson has ever released. Already turning heads on-tour, the Ultra v5 has been embraced by a growing roster of top talent, delivering the reliable, responsive performance that elite players count on."

“At Wilson, we innovate with intention, guided by direct feedback from our athletes,” says Jason Collins, Global General Manager of Wilson Racquet Sports. “The needs of today’s players are constantly evolving, and with Ultra v5, we’re delivering the next generation of explosive power and accuracy.”

In celebration of the launch, Wilson is also unveiling its first-ever, head-to-toe performance look inspired by a racquet debut. Marta Kostyuk will be the first to showcase the full Ultra v5 look— including the Headliner Dress and Intrigue Tennis Shoe, styled to mirror the iconic Electric Indigo colorway of her racket.

“This is more than a franchise release,” says Collins. “It’s a statement of our ongoing commitment to equip athletes with best-in-class gear that powers their performance from head-to-toe-to-hand.”

ambassador

Wilson has continuously reimagined the Ultra racket to meet the demands of the games aggressive pace and dynamic style. Ultra v5 introduces a series of performance-driven upgrades, including:

SI3D™ Frame Technology: Wilson’s proprietary innovation blends best-in-class stability with increased flexibility, creating a unique feel that enhances power, spin and control.

Consistent Spec Control: A tightened weight and balance improve swing consistency from racket to racket.

"Click & Go" Bumper and Grommet System: Made for easy replacement with increased durability and a superior fit. Developed with Agiplast, a plant-based material by Arkema, these components also reflect Wilson’s commitment to reducing environmental impact.

Electric Indigo Colorway: Bold and unmistakable on court, Ultra v5 makes a statement before the first serve is even hit.

A host of Wilson’s top athletes will endorse theUltra v5, including Alex de Minaur, Qinwen Zheng, Maria Sakkari and Marta Kostyuk.

“Wilson has always supported my growth as a player,” says Alex de Minaur, currently ranked No. 12 on the ATP Tour. “The new Ultra v5 gives me a whole new level of confidence on court— the power and accuracy are on another level.”

Alcaraz on Rivalry: We Don't See A Level Like This

"It's going to be better and better," Carlos Alcaraz said of his rivalry with Jannik Sinner.Alcaraz

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Sunday, July 13, 2025
Photo credit: Clive Brunskill/Getty

The world's top two players share a major mission—and their rivalry will produce more massive moments, Carlos Alcaraz said.

World No. 1 Jannik Sinner dethroned two-time champion Alcaraz 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 to make history as the first Italian to capture a Wimbledon singles crown today.

Tennis Express

Afterward, Alcaraz praised Sinner for an "unbelievable" performance.

The second-ranked Spaniard, who suffered his first major final loss after going 5-0 in his five prior Slam finals, says this Wimbledon showdown is only the beginning.

Alcaraz said the rivalry between the pair is unprecedented on the ATP Tour, they've combined to collect seven straight Grand Slam championships, and will only get stronger as they square off in more finals.

"First of all, I [am] just really, really happy about having this rivalry with him. I think it's great for us, and it is great for the tennis," Alcaraz said after seeing his 20-match Wimbledon winning streak snapped. "Every time we playing against each other, I think our level is really high.

"I think we don't watch a level like this, if I'm honest with you. I don't see any player playing against each other, you know, having the level that we are playing when we face each other.

"I think, as I said many, many times, this rivalry, it's coming better and better. We're building really great rivalry because we're playing final of a Grand Slam, final of Master mills, the best tournament in the world. It's going to be better and better."

The pair produced transcendent tennis with Alcaraz saving three championship points to prevail in record-setting five hour, 29-minute Roland Garros final last month.

The 22-year-old Spaniard said Sinner's ultra-high level of play did not surprise him.

Alcaraz said ultimately the key to the match was Sinner's superior second serve—and the fact the reigning Australian Open and US Open champion repeatedly attacked Alcaraz's second serve sometimes ripping backhand strikes down the line.

Overall, Sinner served a higher percentage—62 percent to 53 percent), won 49 percent of second-serve points played on the Spaniard's second serve and flipped the script on the superior net player. Sinner won 30 of 40 trips to net, compared to 17 of 23 net points for Alcaraz.

"The way he played today, it was really, really high. I didn't surprise at all," Alcaraz said. "I knew he was going to play like this. So it was about some details.

Yeah, I mean, overall he didn't surprise me at all because I know he's a big champion…

"I think the big key was about the second serve. He was returning really well there the second serve that I was hitting. Thanks to that, he was in the position to attack in the second ball every time. So it was really difficult when you are feeling that you just defending all the time and running from side to side all the time."

Reflecting on his first major final loss, Alcaraz said he's "grateful" to Sinner because the No. 1 will force the No. 2 to improve his game.

"Just really grateful for that because it gives me the opportunity to just give my 100% every practice, every day," said Alcaraz, who leads the rivalry 8-5 after Sinner snapped a five-match losing streak vs. the Spaniard. "Just to be better, thanks to that. The level that I have to maintain and I have to raise if I want to beat Jannik is really high.

"So I just really grateful for that."