Popyrin Stops Rune, Keeps Title Defense Hopes Alive in Toronto

Alexei Popyrin north of the US border? That’s a good thing for the 25-year-old Aussie, who rallied past Holger Rune on Saturday night in Toronto to stretch his winning streak in Canada to nine victories, 4-6 6-2 6-3.

After the match he signed the camera “I love Canada X 2”.

Tennis Express player gear
Tennis Express player gear

Last year’s champion in Montreal reached his second Masters quarterfinal of 2025, and his fourth overall as he took out the 22-year-old World No.9 with an inspired effort.

“I just feel comfortable on these courts, I think the surface is a little bit quicker,” Popyrin said. “I don’t know if it makes sense, but it lets me have a little bit more time on the court, because I hit my first aggressive shot and I can dictate from there.”

Popyrin hit 30 winners against 24 unforced errors; Rune hit 24 winners and 39 unforced.

Ranked 26 and seeded 18 in Toronto, Popyrin has now won consecutive matches against former Top-5 players.

The Aussie went 0 for 11 in break opportunities in the opening set, but converted three break points across the final two sets to level his lifetime head-to-head with Rune at one apiece.

โ€œAfter the first set I was pissed,” Popyrin said. “But when I came back out to return again, it felt like I was in control of the match. I told myself to be aggressive on the next break point that I got, and from then on I felt quite comfortable.”

Popyrin, who toppled former World No.1 Daniil Medvedev in the third round, is into his first hard court quarterfinal since he claimed the title in Montreal last year, defeating Andrey Rublev in the final.

He will face either top-seeded Alexander Zverev or Francisco Cerundolo in the last eight.

Popyrin saved a pair of break points while serving at 3-1 in the third, after breaking in the previous game. He didn’t look back from there, winning 12 of the final 15 points and breaking Rune again for good measure in the final game.

Alexander Zverev sounds off on two-week Masters format, calls out ATP bosses

Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev reveals he is not a fan of two-week Masters tournaments and suggests the ATP made the schedule harder for players instead of making it easier after repeated calls to make changes to what many think is a pretty crowded calendar.

In the past, Indian Wells and Miami were the only Masters tournaments longer than a week. In recent years, several other tournaments from the 1000-category became a 10-day or 12-day events, with Monte Carlo and Paris remaining as the only tournaments from the category that take a week to finish. 

Zverev, who turned 28 in April and has been around for long enough to know the difference between the past and the new format, doesn't think the idea is great at all. 

Zverev: I think all the players loved the old Masters format…

During his appearance on the Nothing Major Show, the German tennis star noted that Masters tournaments are mandatory and that seven of the nine tournaments from the category last for more than a week. Then, the three-time Grand Slam finalist declared Monte Carlo and Paris as "the best two weeks on the ATP Tour."

“I mean, I won it, which was even more awesome for me, but you get there, you play your five matches, and you get out of there. You do not have to stick around or practice in between matches. That is how Masters events used to be and I think all the players loved it. Now the ATP has made four mandatory 500 events for you to play, which used to be three, now it’s four. So you don’t get under 20 events except if you are pulling out of the big events," Zverev added.

To Zverev's defense, some of his colleagues have also spoken out against the new format, arguing that there is no need for a Masters tournament to take longer than a week and that it only makes the calendar harder. But on the other side, some also defended the new format, arguing that a usual day off between matches helps a lot to regenerate for the next match. 

Meanwhile, Zverev is playing at the ongoing 1000-level event in Toronto, where he is due to meet Francisco Cerundolo in the round-of-16.

Statisfaction: Zverev joins ATP 500 Club

Alexander Zverev has had a difficult season in 2025, but if we take a step back and look at the body of work of the German, we can see that he’s in the process of putting together a legendary career.

Tennis Express player gear
Tennis Express player gear

On Thursday in Toronto the 28-year-old became the fifth active player to record 500 ATP wins with his 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-2 over Matteo Arnaldi at the National Back Open.

Zverev is the fifth active player to have reached the mark, joining:

  • Novak Djokovic (1,150)
  • Marin Cilic (593)
  • Gael Monfils (583)
  • Stan Wawrinka (580)

And he’s the third German man to hit 500 wins, along with Boris Becker (713) and Tommy Haas (569).

Perhaps most impressively is the fact that Zverev is the first man born 1990 or later to achieve the feat.

The German, who improved to 37-14 on the season with the win, will face Francisco Cerundolo in the round of 16 in Toronto.