Coco Gauff teases American men over lack of Grand Slams: No competition

2009 Wimbledon

Coco Gauff jokes there "has not been much of a competition" between American men and women at Grand Slams simply because the women have had much more success over the last two decades.

As you probably know, the last US male tennis player to win a Grand Slam singles title was Andy Roddick. After winning his maiden Major at the 2003 US Open, the former world No. 1 appeared in four more Major finals but never won his second title on the biggest level.

After Roddick's 2009 Wimbledon final defeat to Roger Federer, it took US tennis 15 years to get another male Grand Slam finalist – Taylor Fritz reached the 2024 US Open final but stood no chance there, losing in straight sets to Jannik Sinner.

When it comes to American WTA stars, their Slam success over the past two decades is well-documented. In the most recent history, Gauff landed two Grand Slams in the last two years. 

Gauff takes a playful shot at US ATP players

"For the men, I feel like the women, it hasn't been much of a competition, no offense to them, but now it is kind of was it three or four straight Slams with American in the finals. So I think we're we're doing pretty good on our end. They have to catch up. But no, I think it's great to see so many so much representation of like our country in the sport," the 2023 US Open winner said.

After making it clear that she thinks American male tennis features some pretty quality players, Gauff revealed her big wish was to witness an American male and female winning the same Grand Slam. Last year, Fritz and Jessica Pegula came close to making that happen, but lost their respective US Open final matches.

"I would love to see in my lifetime like a woman and an American woman and male when the same Slam that would be that would be great. We got it US Open. They were both in the final so hopefully maybe this U.S. Open some magic can happen," Gauff added.

In early June, Gauff won her first French Open title. Now, the 21-year-old is an Australian Open and Wimbledon title away from completing a Career Grand Slam.

Elena Rybakina indicates she is managing some niggles amid promising Montreal run

Elena

Elena Rybakina indicates she is dealing with some slight physical issues but suggests everything is under control and she is ready for the remainder of Montreal and the North American hard-court swing.

On Saturday, the Kazakh – who is currently ranked at No. 12 in the world and seeded at No. 9 at the Canadian Open – survived a two-hour and 33-minute battle versus No. 30 seed Dayana Yastremska 5-7 6-2 7-5 to reach the quarterfinal.

For Rybakina, that was already her sixth match on hard courts this summer. Before coming to Montreal, the former world No. 3 reached the Washington semifinal before losing to Leylah Fernandez.

"Well, of course, a little bit getting tired of my issues, but we're managing. Overall I'm happy that I'm ready to play these long matches. I think it's a good preparation for US Open in the end of the day," the 26-year-old said when asked how she was physically feeling.

Rybakina comments on facing Marta Kostyuk next in Montreal

Next up for Rybakina will be a career-fourth meeting against world No. 28 Kostyuk. Two and a half years ago, Kostyuk won their first match at the Adelaide International. Since then, they have met two more times, with the Kazakh winning on the ending side at the 2023 US Open and 2024 Stuttgart. 

While the 2022 Wimbledon champion won their last two meetings routinely in straight sets, she insists that she expects "a tough battle" against the Ukrainian.

"We played a couple of times. So different surface, but it's always tough battle. There is noisy matches, that's for sure. I will try to focus on myself. I know that she's really fighter, and she's really physically tough opponent. So yeah, I will try to do my best and hopefully can win that match," the Kazakh said of facing Kostyuk.

In the past, Rybakina made the Montreal semifinal in 2023.

Novak Djokovic mirrors his worst streak at Majors. Still, numbers prove greatness

Alexander Zverev

Novak Djokovic competed in his first Major semi-final at the 2007 Roland Garros. Eighteen years later, the Serb is still capable of entering the latter stages on the most notable tennis scene.

Novak has reached the last four at all three Majors in 2025, standing strong at 38 and writing age records. The 24-time Major champion is one of two players with three Major semi-finals this season.

The other? World no. 1, Jannik Sinner! However, the legend has stumbled at this stage each time, suffering losses to Alexander Zverev and Jannik Sinner and marking his worst streak in the Major semi-finals since 2010!

Novak did not perform at his best in his first eight Major semi-finals until Wimbledon 2010, having won only two matches and dropping four straight semi-finals between 2008 and 2010.

Djokovic raised his level and embraced a thrilling 32-5 streak between the 2010 US Open and the 2023 US Open. Between Wimbledon 2013 and the US Open 2023, the Serb dropped only two Major semi-finals, entering numerous finals and chasing the ultimate records. 

Novak has not been able to follow that run since the beginning of 2024, entering five Major semi-finals and scoring only one win at Wimbledon last year. The veteran defeated Carlos Alcaraz at this year's Australian Open. 

Novak Djokovic, Australian Open 2025

Novak Djokovic, Australian Open 2025© Stream screenshot

 

He became the third-oldest semi-finalist in Melbourne after Ken Rosewall and Roger Federer. However, he experienced a muscle tear and retired in the semi-final after dropping the tie break of the opening set against Alexander Zverev. 

Djokovic recovered and embraced another deep run at Roland Garros. He served revenge to Zverev in the quarter-final, becoming the oldest semi-finalist in Paris since Pancho Gonzales in 1968! 

Novak fought well against Jannik Sinner, challenging the world's best player for over three hours before losing 6-4, 7-5, 7-6. The Serb used that momentum and secured another semi-final at Wimbledon, his 14th at the All England Club!

Novak Djokovic, Roland Garros 2025

Novak Djokovic, Roland Garros 2025© Stream screenshot

 

Djokovic experienced another setback in the quarter-final, falling on a match point against Flavio Cobolli and injuring his left hip area. The veteran tried to recover and challenge Jannik SInner, but his body could not endure the effort. 

The Italian earned a 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 victory, providing the Serb's third straight loss in the Major semi-finals. Novak struggled with his movement and trailed in sets one and two. 

He raised his level in the third and built a 3-0 advantage and a break chance in game four. Jannik saved it and turned the tables, taking six of the final seven games to emerge at the top and beat the legend for the fifth straight time. 

Novak Djokovic, Wimbledon 2025

Novak Djokovic, Wimbledon 2025© Stream screenshot

 

In an era where each deep run at Majors demands peak physical and mental effort, Djokovic's presence in all three semi-finals speaks volumes about his enduring greatness and legacy. 

However, this year's string of defeats highlights an inevitable shift. The margins are smaller, the rivals younger and the physical toll heavier. Against all odds, Novak continues to challenge the world's best players at Majors. 

Despite the frustration, there's a powerful silver lining. Djokovic continues to prove his unmatched consistency on the sport's biggest stages. The best thing? His hunger and desire have not faded despite accomplishing every task our sport has to offer.

Montreal: Coco Gauff survives unforced errors festival vs Danielle Collins

Beijing

Coco Gauff and Danielle Collins delivered an error-strewn display in Montreal but it was the No. 1 seed who managed to come out on top and clinch a narrow 7-5 4-6 7-6 (2) win. 

Gauff, who is seeded at No. 1 in the absence of Aryna Sabalenka, sprayed a stunning 74 unforced errors and had 23 double faults. Collins wasn't any better, firing 80 unforced errors and 13 double faults in two hours and 54 minutes of play. Overall, the two combined for a stunning 154 unforced errors. 

The third set was especially a rollercoaster – the top seed was twice up by a break but Collins managed to twice come back before also claiming a break in the 11th game to go 6-5 up. With a chance to serve out for the match, the world No. 61 failed to seal the deal and she paid the price by easily losing the tie-break.

How Gauff reacted to winning ugly against Collins?

"I was practicing well and I don't think I transferred it today, but hopefully I got my bad match of the tournament out of the way. Maybe if I cut that in half, it would be a quicker match for me… I thought that I was playing well, except that part of my game," the No. 1 seed said.

In the Montreal third round, Gauff will take on Veronika Kudermetova, who defeated Olga Danilovic in the second round. So far, they have met three times and the Russian caused some problems to the American in the past, having won their 2023 Doha battle. However, the 2023 US Open champion still leads their head-to-head 2-1 since she triumphed in their 2023 Stuttgart and Beijing meetings.

Heading into the match, one thing is for sure – Gauff will look to do a much better job of making less errors on the court.