Naomi Osaka confesses what happened to her after Wimbledon amid deep Montreal run

Anastasija Pavlyuchenkova

Naomi Osaka says she was so disappointed after Wimbledon to the point where her expectations simply disappeared and finds it ironic that she is now enjoying her best run of the year.

In early July, Osaka made a promising start to her run at The Championships and easily made it past her opening two matches. In the Wimbledon third round, the former world No. 1 was a set away from reaching her first Grand Slam second week since the 2021 Australian Open but then allowed Anastasija Pavlyuchenkova to come back from a set down and beat her. The four-time Grand Slam champion looked absolutely crushed in her presser and even said it was hard for her to find any positives.

A month later, Osaka is through to the semifinal of the WTA 1000 tournament in Montreal, where she is due to meet Clara Tauson. This is the Japanese's first WTA 1000 semifinal since she finished as runner-up at the 2022 Miami Open.

Osaka: I was really disappointed after Wimbledon… I kind of let go of my expectations

"I'm really happy. I'm also really excited. I don't know. It's kind of interesting, because I told people this before, but like, obviously after Wimbledon, I was really disappointed. Then I just kind of let go of my expectations, and now we're here. So I find it kind of ironic, but I'm happy about it," the world No. 49 admitted.

By reaching the Montreal semifinals, Osaka will rise at least 20 spots on the updated WTA rankings list on Monday and be ranked at No. 29. That means she will be a top-30 player for the first time in years.

"I feel a lot more at peace with myself and what I want to do in this part of the season," the four-time Grand Slam winner noted.

It remains to be seen if Osaka can continue her fine form and beat Tauson to reach the Montral title match.

Naomi Osaka mentions Serena Williams when addressing her 'biggest weapon'

BET Award for Sportswoman of the Year

Naomi Osaka mentioned Serena Williams when asked about her powerful first serve as the Japanese suggested that seeing how the American tennis icon served even in tense moments helped her always believe that her own serve would be there for her.

On Sunday, the Japanese delivered a masterpiece performance and annihilated former world No. 11 Anastasija Sevastova 6-1 6-0 in the Montreal round-of-16.

From start to finish, it was all Osaka. One of the things that stood was the four-time Grand Slam champion's serve as she fired five aces – zero double faults – won 72 percent of her first serve points – faced three break points across two separate games but saved them all.

Overall, it has been an outstanding week for Osaka in Montreal, who has dropped just one set in four matches played. Her serve has been a major factor behind her promising run at the Canadian WTA 1000 tournament.

Osaka asked how it is possible that she 'never loses her first serve' and that it always remains her 'biggest weapon

The 27-year-old responded: "I don't know. I think for me I just grew up in an era of watching Serena, and she would be down Love 40 and hit four aces. I still think about that sometimes when I play. I also feel like it doesn't have to be an ace. I just have to hit a really good serve and see what happens, because off the baseline, I still think I'm one of the better players, so…"

Per the WTA website, Osaka has fired 200 aces so far in 2025 – won 74 percent of her first serve points – and owns a 78.7 percent when it comes to holding her own serve. 

Considering that Osaka plays next against Svitolina in Montreal, there is no doubt that the four-time Grand Slam winner will need her serve to click exceptionally.

Coco Gauff quickly shuts down Victoria Mboko comparisons

Coco

Coco Gauff refused to compare Victoria Mboko to herself and also added that others should not engage in such conversations because it would be "unfair" toward the 18-year-old Canadian.

On Tuesday, the rising Canadian star – who is ranked at No. 85 in the world – registered her biggest win by ousting the top-seeded American 6-1 6-4 in the round-of-16 of the WTA 1000 tournament in Montreal. 

From start to finish, it was Mboko who had the upper hand as the 18-year-old impressively converted four of her five break point chances, as well as saved all of Gauff's five break point opportunities. 

Before making her maiden WTA 1000 quarterfinal in Montreal, Mboko won five ITF titles earlier this year. The Canadian, who was ranked at No. 333 when the 2025 season, is now guaranteed to improve at least 30 spots on Monday and be ranked inside the top-55 for the first time in her career. 

Even before beating Gauff, Mboko drew certain comparisons to the American, who had a rapid start to her career. Those conversations only increased after the 18-year-old's impressive win on Saturday. 

Gauff: I don't think it's fair to put that on Mboko

"No, she's a completely different player, completely different person. I've never been one to compare myself to others, whether it be like people comparing me to Serena or Venus, and I don't think it's fair to put that on her as well. Yeah, but I do see someone who is going to have a really bright future, for sure," the 21-year-old American responded when asked if she recognized herself in the Canadian.

Gauff didn't want to compare Mboko to herself but she gladly said what she liked about the Canadian's game.

"I mean, she's very athletic. She's a great ball striker, and she seems pretty positive out there on the court, doesn't get really too negative," the two-time Grand Slam winner explained.

Montreal: Coco Gauff reduces double fault number but still gets ousted by world No.85

Coco

Coco Gauff reduced her double fault number against Victoria Mboko but still easily lost her Montreal round-of-16 match after the world No. 85 picked up a 6-1 6-4 win in just an hour and two minutes of play.

Right out the gate, rising Canadian star Mboko wanted to show that she came to play and she did so by impressively breaking the top seed three times in the first set to bag the opener.

After easily dropping the opening set, Gauff stabilized on her serve, but also failed to convert any of her four break points in the seventh game. That came back to haunt the American, who got broken in the 10th game of the second set – the game in which she was serving to stay in the match.

Through her first two Montreal matches, Gauff fired a total of 37 double faults. Against Mboko, the top seed had six double faults. But the issue was that she won only 12 of her 27 second serve points – saved only one of five break points she faced – all while also not realizing any of her five break points.

In her maiden WTA 1000 quarterfinal, Mboko will play against Jessica Bouzas Maneiro.

Mboko paid tribute to Gauff after their Montreal match

After sealing the biggest win of her career, the 18-year-old Canadian declared the 21-year-old American "a great champion."

“It’s incredible. I’m so happy to beat such a great champion," the world No. 85 said after beating the two-time Grand Slam winner.

Gauff also spoke highly of the rising Canadian tennis star, tipping her to do some nice things.

“I’m sure we’re going to have many more battles in the future. Yeah, I think she’s going to have a lot of success on tour," Gauff said of the 18-year-old.

World No. 51 Bouzas Maneiro is a pretty favorable quarterfinal matchup for Mboko and the home favorite will definitely like her chances of also making the Montreal semifinal.

Montreal: Emma Raducanu gets dismantled in 3R, while Iga Swiatek easily wins

Amanda Anisimova

Emma Raducanu is out of the WTA 1000 tournament in Montreal after being crushed 2-6 1-6 by Amanda Anisimova, while Iga Swiatek extended her winning streak to nine matches after making light work of Eva Lys 6-2 6-2.

Anisimova, who was beaten by Raducanu earlier this year at the Australian Open and Miami, came out determined to make a statement early on and she did so by breaking the Briton three times in the opening set. The second set was a similar story as the fifth-seeded American took the opening five games before serving out for the win in the seventh game.

In the Swiatek and Lys match, there wasn't any drama as the six-time Grand Slam champion got the job done routinely by claiming two breaks in each set. It was a clinical performance from the Polish tennis star, who faced only one break and saved it.

In the Montreal round-of-16, Anisimova will battle against Elina Svitolina, who beat Anna Kalinskaya. On the other side, Swiatek will fight against Clara Tauson – the same rival she beat en route to winning Wimbledon.

Swiatek's reaction to beating Lys

Going into their Montreal meeting, Swiatek and Lys had met twice and the Pole won both of those meetings – 6-1 6-1 in 2022 Stuttgart, 6-0 6-1 at this year's Australian Open. While the Pole gave no chance to Lys again, she insisted that it wasn't really an easy match.

“It’s always fun here. It was a solid match so I’m happy to have a chance to play another one here. The match was different from how we played each other last time. I just focused on myself and knew what my plan was, but Eva played some great down-the-lines and sometimes was really able to use her wrist and play some fast balls. It wasn’t easy, but I’m happy I just did my job," Swiatek said after her win.

Ex-Slam champ finds it 'unbelievable' how Coco Gauff has been surviving in Montreal

Broadcasting (NEC)

Former three-time Grand Slam champion Lindsay Davenport says it is "unbelievable" that Coco Gauff has been winning matches in Montreal so far this week with her "C-level tennis."

So far, Gauff is two out of two at this year's Canadian Open. But both of her opening two matches were an absolute slugfest. Against Danielle Collins, the top seed sprayed a shocking 23 double faults and 74 unforced errors but still won 7-5 4-6 7-6 (2). In her following match, the two-time Grand Slam winner was down by a set a break – she fired 14 double faults – but somehow still found a way to beat Veronika Kudermetova 4-6 7-5 6-2.

As you could notice, Gauff's serving has been disastrous this week. But the top-seeded American is still alive and set to fight against Victoria Mboko for a place in the Montreal quarterfinal.

Davenport on Gauff's display in Montreal: Unbelievable she wins with her C-level tennis

“It was interesting she kept looking down at her grip when she was serving. It looked like they were trying to make some changes with the serve. She was not comfortable with it yet. It looks like they know it’s a problem and she didn’t have the confidence with it last night. Her toss was all over the place. But she still wins. It’s unbelievable her ability to figure out ways to win when she is playing, honestly, C-level tennis out there. She did a fantastic job managing her emotions," Davenport said on Tennis Channel.

Gauff's serving issues have been a major topic for the past two years. At times, the 21-year-old serves better consistently and that's when she usually does well. However, there are also periods when she simply can't catch any rhythm on her serve and that usually leads to some shock losses.

In Montreal, Gauff twice avoided picking a surprise defeat. It remains to be seen how she plays against Mboko.

Ex-Slam finalist lays out one strong reason why Emma Raducanu can win Major again

Anna Kalinskaya

Pam Shriver is not ruling out the possibility of Emma Raducanu winning a Grand Slam once again as the 1978 US Open runner-up suggests that if a player has done it once, they certainly have the mindset to do it at least one more time.

How the British tennis player became a Grand Slam winner in a historic way and the criticism she faced after failing to keep up with the same level in the aftermath of her win is well-documented. 

Last week, Raducanu came very close to making her first final of any sort since the 2022 US Open. Sadly for the 22-year-old, she fell just short in her bid after Anna Kalinskaya handed her a 6-4 6-3 loss in the Washington semifinal. 

Overall, Raducanu is 23-15 this year and ranked at No. 33 in the world. Over the past year, the Briton has improved certain areas in her game – she has managed to stay healthier – and it is positively reflecting on her results. However, she still remains without a really big result or something that could propel her to the top of the game. 

While Shriver – who has one Grand Slam final on her resume and multiple semifinals – acknowledges that Raducanu's results haven't been the best for the past four years, she still believes it is possible for the 22-year-old to lift a Grand Slam glory.

Shriver on Raducanu's future Slam chances

"Obviously, in the last say three and a half years, four years she’s kind of fallen back into kind of like a solid player with some good results during the year. But if you just took her resume, take that US Open out, that one tournament out, you would probably say no she’s not going to win one. She might have some quarterfinals, semifinals, but when you know that somebody’s had the mindset to do it once you always think sure, they can do it again," Shriver said on Talking Tennis. 

Last year, Raducanu confidently said in one of her interviews that she was "going to win Wimbledon one day."

This year, the British tennis player had a third-round outings at the Australian Open and Wimbledon, while she exited the French Open in the second round.

Djokovic's Last Wimbledon Dance?

The Grand Slam king talks up his chances ahead of his Alexandre Muller

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Saturday June 28, 2025

He’s 38. He’s done everything there is to do in the sport. Well, almost everything…

Tennis Express

Novak Djokovic doesn’t stand atop the all-time Wimbledon men’s singles titles list, and he isn’t the oldest man to ever win a major singles title. If he can somehow find a way to be the last man standing at the end of this Wimbledon fortnight, he could add a few select chapters to his voluminous legacy.

At Wimbledon, most agree that it is Djokovic’s best chance. The Serbian legend himself said so on Saturday during his pre-tournament media conference. Maybe it’s even his last chance?

“I would probably agree that Wimbledon could be the best chance [for a 25th Grand Slam title] because of the results I have had, because of how I feel, how I play in Wimbledon, just getting that extra push mentally and motivation to perform the best tennis at the highest level,” he said.

Djokovic, who enters these Championships with a 97-12 record on his hallowed Wimbledon grass, hopes it isn’t his last dance at Wimbledon, but he admits it is a possibility.

“Whether it could be my last dance, I'm not sure,” he said. “My wish is to play for several more years. I would love to be healthy physically and also mentally motivated to keep on playing at the highest level. That's the goal, but you never know at this stage.”

Djokovic has been defeated in the final by Carlos Alcaraz in successive years, in five sets in 2023 and in straight sets last year.

He hopes that his form at the majors means he’ll be able to find his way back to another final, and maybe even win it.

Grand Slams stay quite consistent, quarters or semi-finals except for the US Open. That's a good sign. These tournaments give me the biggest drive still. Australia and at Roland-Garros showed me that I can still play on a very high level at the later stages.”

Djokovic will face France’s Alexandre Muller in the first round at Wimbledon.