Former ATP stars discuss Novak Djokovic's future

2028 Olympics

Novak Djokovic's next tournament will be the US Open – the last Major of the season – which will take place in New York from August 24 to September 7, preceded by the mixed doubles tournament in which the former world number 1 (together with Olga Danilovic) will also participate.

Against all odds, the Serbian legend has decided not to play either the 'Canadian Open' in Toronto or the Cincinnati Masters 1000 before the US Open and fans are wondering what his level will be in the Big Apple at the end of August. The 38-year-old from Belgrade had also made this decision last season, when he needed time to recharge his batteries after the Paris Olympics, but he was unable to give his best in NY and was eliminated already in the first week.

It is clear to everyone that Nole directs his schedule mainly towards Grand Slam tournaments and has been able to raise his level in those four tournaments this year, but he has never gone beyond the semifinals. In addition, he is starting to have more injuries than in the past and he has not hidden that it will be very hard to become the oldest player ever to lift a Major.

Nole is 38 years of age 

Most experts and former players are convinced that Novak's career is not far from over, although he has repeatedly stated that he wants to try to continue until the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics.

On the latest edition of the 'Nothing Major' podcast, former American ace Sam Querrey asked John Isner when he thinks Djokovic will retire: “Do you think Djokovic is going to be a guy who announces his retirement like 2026 will be my last year?” Isner replied: “I think you’re right. I guess when you know you know. He might just reach that point where he wakes up one morning and it’s like man, I have had enough. Hopefully that is four years from now.”

Nole has not triumphed in a Major since the 2023 edition of the US Open.

Watch: Bianca Andreescu rolls ankle on match point, lets out heartbreaking scream

2024 Wimbledon

Bianca Andreescu went through a painful moment very late in her Montreal opener as the former world No. 4 badly rolled her ankle on a match point. 

Serving for the match at 5-3 in the second set against 2024 Wimbledon champion Barbora Krejcikova, the Canadian twisted her ankle and fell on the court instantly. Moments after the injury scare, the 2019 US Open winner yelled, "Why does this always happen to me?"

Andreescu, who was in evident pain and discomfort, was assisted to her bench, where she was treated by the trainer. Ultimately, the Canadian – who received a wildcard for this year's tournament in Montreal – managed to resume play and complete a 6-3 6-4 win.

Andreescu cried and got emotional after her Montreal win

The Montreal crowd prompted the 25-year-old to continue playing and gave her the extra energy. And after the current world No. 187 managed to get over the finish line, she became emotional but also acknowledged the crowd's help.

"You guys are everything. I'm super happy I was able to pull through and it's thanks to you guys," the home player told the crowd.

Andreescu's injury history is well-documented as she has struggled with various injuries over the last several years. 

After taking part in the Tokyo tournament in 2024 October, the Canadian decided to take a break to address her back injury. The 25-year-old returned to action in April. Since coming back to tennis, she has posted a 12-8 record and she is ranked just inside the top-200.

In the Montreal second round, Andreescu is due to meet Mirra Andreeva. It remains to be seen if tshe will be impacted by the ankle injury.

Ons Jabeur Presses Pause on Tennis Career

"Deep down, I haven't felt truly happy on the court for some time now," Ons Jabeur said in announcing her break from tennis.2023 Wimbledon

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Friday, July 18, 2025
Photo credit: Rob Newell/CameraSport

Ons Jabeur is stepping away from tennis.

In an effort to strengthen her physical and mental health, the three-time Grand Slam finalist is pressing pause on her tennis career.

Tennis Express

A series of injuries has derailed Jabeur and drained the joy of playing from her.

Last month, Jabeur played through qualifying and knocked off 2024 Wimbledon finalist Jasmine Paolini en route to the Berlin quarterfinals. Jabeur lost to 2023 Wimbledon champion Marketa Vondrousova in the quarterfinals, then fell in back-to-back first-rounders, to Maya Joint at Eastbourne and to world No. 111 Viktoriya Tomova at Wimbledon. Jabeur retired from her Wimbledon opener after trailing 6-7, 0-2.

"For the past two years, I've been pushing myself so hard, fighting through injuries, and facing many other challenges," Jabeur posted on Twitter. "But deep down, I haven't felt truly happy on the court for some time now.

"Tennis is such a beautiful sport. But right now, I feel it's time to step back and finally put myself first: to breathe, to heal and to rediscover the joy of simply living."

Former world No. 2 and two-time Wimbledon finalist Jabeur, who had left wrist surgery earlier in her career, has been beset by injuries in recent years. Jabeur shut down her 2024 season last August after suffering a shoulder injury.

Nicknamed the "Minister of Happiness" for her joyful disposition on court, Jabeur conceded she's struggled to find pleasure playing tennis this season.

The 30-year-old Tunisian started the 2025 season reaching the Brisbane quarterfinals bowing to Mirra Andreeva 6-4, 7-6. Jabeur went on to reach back-to-back quarterfinals in Abu Dhabi and Doha. Since then, she's struggled posting a 3-9 record in main-draw, Tour-level matches.

A highly-skilled shotmaker and one of the Tour's most popular players, Jabeur will be missed for her unique style and fan-friendly personality.

Bublik on Shock Roland-Garros Win – “Sometimes in Life There’s Only One Chance.”

Alexander Bublik after surprising the tennis world, spoke with candor on reaching the Roland-Garros quarterfinals for the first time.Coach

By Erik Gudris | @atntennis | Monday, June 2, 2025
Photo Source: Roland-Garros Facebook

The mercurial, crowd-pleasing talents of Alexander Bublik has now earned him worldwide attention after his shock four-set upset win over No. 5 seed Jack Draper to reach the Roland-Garros quarterfinals for the first time in his career.

Bublik, 27, celebrated his unexpected 5-7, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 victory with tears in his eyes as he became the first Kazakhstani man to reach a Grand Slam quarterfinal in history.

"Sometimes in life there's only one chance, and I had a feeling that that was mine, and I couldn't let it slip," Bublik said in an on-court interview, after an extended standing ovation from the Court Suzanne-Lenglen crowd. "Standing here, it's the best moment of my life, period."

The final game of the match proved pivotal in more ways than one. Draper, still down a service break at 5-4, forced Rublev to serve for the match. Draper battled and held two break points, only to lose out on both. Rublev eventually closed out the game, and the match.

But Rublev admitted later on TNT Sports, if he had lost that game, he would likely have lost the motivation to try and win the match from there.

“I said to myself, if I'm losing that break, it's 7-5 6-2 max (in favor of Draper)," Bublik said. "I'm not gonna fight, because if you have this chance to make your first ever quarterfinal and you blow it. It's your fault. That's how I see it.”

Bublik, known for his unorthodox playing style, including underhand serves and trick shots, and rather cavalier personality, both on and off the court was not expected to be in the mix this fortnight in Paris. Though he’s reached a career high World No. 17, he’s currently ranked at No. 62.

Despite winning four ATP Tour titles in his career, 2025 has been a rough season so far. Before Paris, Bublik was 7-13 on the year.

Yet Bublik must have felt something good was coming for him in Paris after he earned a two sets from behind victory over No. 9 seed Alex de Minaur earlier in the second round. Bublik admitted he contemplated quitting tennis earlier this season after falling to the low 80s ranking wise.

While he previously complained about the clay court swing being too long, this year, he realized he needed to make an effort on the dirt to boost his ranking.

“I was eighty in the world. I was talking to my coach I want to quit tennis because I’m eighty in the world. It feels disgraceful for me,” Bublik said. “So I just said to myself, you have a gift, you gotta use your chances. If I have one, I'm gonna use it.

"I'm just gonna fight. I'm gonna try to play on clay and see how it goes and it worked like this, Because I had no room, you know, to cry. Because if you have room to cry, I always would take the cry, you know.”

Bublik added, “But when you have no options then it's that's how it works.”

Many tennis observers have questioned Bublik’s efforts on-court and off court throughout his career.

While Bublik confirmed he works hard off the court, he’s the first to admit that he prefers a “work/life” balance that includes his family. He can only speak for himself when it comes to determining what’s best for his life and career.

“There is no way around hard work. Don't get me wrong,” Bublik said in his post-match press conference. “I work hard, but on my terms, you know. I do what I'm capable of doing with my body, but I will not push through a knee injury in order to have, you know, a certain chance to win a certain match. So for me, there is no way around hard work. I have been working very hard, and I do work very hard."

Bublik, a proud father, added on TNT he tries to put tennis into perspective

“Tennis is fifty percent of my life, you know I have other part of being a dad, being a friend, which is have the same importance for me as being a tennis player," Bublik said. "So in this percent that I have as a professional athlete, I have to do maximum what my body is capable of.

"I'm not going to put my health on the line. I'm not going to be fighting through injuries. You know, if I have pain, I resign. I say thank you very much. I'm not going there.

"Because I prioritize my health a lot. And if you tell me, Sasha, you gonna win a Slam. But you can't walk at forty. I'm not going to take this. So then I have to work with the tools I have.”

Bublik next faces World No. 1 Jannik Sinner in the quarterfinals.