Knockout Night: Mboko Sweeps Top-Seeded Gauff to Roar Into Montreal Quarterfinals

By Richard Pagliaro | Saturday, August 2, 2025
Photo credit: Minas Panagiotakis/Getty 

Victoria Mboko expected a tough fight from Coco Gauff

Before an electric home crowd, the Canadian teenager delivered a knockout. 

Eighteen-year-old Mboko repeatedly beat Gauff to the punch toppling the top-seeded American 6-1, 6-4 to score her biggest career win and roar into the Montreal quarterfinals. 

“It was one of the biggest matches I could have played so far in my career. So far I feel really happy with how it went,” Mboko told the media in Montreal. “Playing Coco is obviously never easy. She’s No. 2 in the world, and it’s been such a great opportunity for me to play against someone like her. I was just happy I kept my composure today and I pulled it through.”

Auckland

A dynamic Mboko broke at 15 in the first and last games and spent much of the match playing off the front foot staying one step ahead of the two-time Grand Slam champion. 

“I mean, it is tough. I knew she would come in with a lot of confidence, and she’s won her
first couple of rounds easily,” Gauff said. “Honestly, I haven’t played the best this tournament, so I
knew that it would be tough.

“I don’t know, I just felt like I could do better today, but I also knew that if I took my foot off the gas a little bit, that she would take advantage of those moments, and she did.”

It was Mboko’s first career Top 10 win and she displayed both power and poise pulling it off.

Mboko, who swept former Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin in round two, made history as the third Canadian teenager to beat multiple Grand Slam champions at a single event. The explosive Mboko joins Bianca Andreescu (Auckland, Indian Wells and US Open in 2019) and Leylah Fernandez (2021 US Open) in achieving that impressive feat. 

When things got tight tonight at 4-all in the second set, Mboko did not crack and continued driving the ball deeper than the two-time Grand Slam champion in avenging a three-set loss to Gauff in Rome.

“Honestly, I don’t think she played much different. I think it’s two different surfaces, and I felt like my
level was a little bit higher in Rome, so I think the matchup was better,” Gauff said. “But still, I knew in Rome when I played her, it would be a tough match, and it was.

“I knew today it would be hard, and she’s playing, like, high-level tennis. Yeah, I think that’s what showed today. I think she was the better player today.”

Reigning Roland Garros champion Gauff committed 23 double faults—nearly a full set of doubles—in her opener vs. Danielle Collins yet still squeezed out a 7-5, 4-6 7-6(2) victory relying on her grit and legs to get it done in two hours, 56 minutes. In round two, Gauff clanked 14 double faults fending off Veronika Kudermetova 4-6, 7-5, 6-2. 

Today, Gauff hit just six double faults—one more than the Canadian wild card—but Mboko often handcuffed the top seed slashing returns right back through the middle. Mboko converted all four of her break point chances and frequently controlled the forehand to forehand exchanges. 

Embed from Getty Imageswindow.gie=window.gie||function(c){(gie.q=gie.q||[]).push(c)};gie(function(){gie.widgets.load({id:’uLUKBF17S-pK-WFuQ966ZQ’,sig:’51iA97VGC6pcaTRw3TddN-yjBFheR4Y71DrdxamQE74=’,w:’594px’,h:’396px’,items:’2227570972,2227571158,2227567016,2227571164,2227567494′,caption: true ,tld:’com’,is360: false })});

Gauff skipped Washington, DC to spend time in the Florida heat working on her serve. That shot was suspect in Montreal this week revealing her service game is still very much a work in progress as she heads to Cincinnati before the start of the US Open later this month. 

This match was a rematch of the Rome second round in May when Gauff rallied for a 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 win. 

On the faster Montreal court, Mboko showed she’s one of the few women who can run with the speedy Gauff as she prevailed in some of the crackling crosscourt running rallies. 

Reflecting on that Rome defeat helped Mboko remain focused throughout the second set.

“Yeah, I was actually really thinking about it a lot during the match, especially after I won the
first set. I kind of had flashbacks to when I played her in Rome a little bit,” Mboko said. “I just remember when she kind of came out playing even better and stepped it up a bit better when I played her in
Europe, I was thinking about that.

“I kind of wanted to step my game up a little bit more and make sure I matched whatever she was producing, and I wanted to stay right there with her.”

Taking the ball earlier than Gauff at times Mboko burned the world No. 2 blasting drives down the line. 

Deadlocked at 4-all in the second set, Mboko cracked a backhand drive down the line then flashed a clenched fist toward her box holding at 30 for 5-4. 

Serving to extend the match, Gauff was down double match point when she hit the slider serve wide. On the full stretch, Mboko flicked a forehand return back into play. Gauff got up to the ball but tried to play a short slice and found the net instead. 

Clad head-to-toe in blue Wilson apparel, Mboko tossed her racquet aside and covered her face with her hands in an eruption of emotion as Montreal fans exploded with cheers.

Gauff was gracious in defeat crediting the teenager with outplaying her.

“She’s very athletic. She’s a great ball striker, and she seems pretty positive out there on the
court, doesn’t get really too negative,” Gauff said. “I mean, I don’t know her too well, but I’ve gotten to talk to her a little bit over the course since Rome. I think she has a great support system around her, and I think that’s important when you’re young and on tour.

“Yeah, hopefully we have many more battles, and I look forward to playing her again in the future.”

Mboko is the first Canadian teenager to reach the quarterfinals since Andreescu won the title in 2019—and based on this performance she’s poised to do even more damage in this North American summer hard court season.

Andreescu on Ankle Injury and Future: Hoping to Play Cincinnati But Uncertain

By Richard Pagliaro | Tuesday, July 29, 2025
Photo credit: Matthew Calvis

Bianca Andreescu won a clash of major champions, but lost a health battle in the process.

The 2019 US Open champion suffered turn ankle ligaments at the very end of her 6-3, 6-4 victory over 2024 Wimbledon winner Barbora Krejcikova in Montreal on Sunday. Despite injuring her ankle, Andreescu, operating on adrenaline, managed to play a couple more points to score her first WTA main-draw win since ‘s-Hertogenbosch on grass last month.

Tennis Express player gear
Tennis Express player gear

The injury forced Andreescu to withdraw from the National Bank Open before her scheduled showdown with Mirra Andreeva today.

Beset by a litany of injury in recent years, Andreescu said she has to laugh to keep from going crazy.

“All I could think about is, honestly, like why, again?” Andreescu told the media in Montreal. “I think I even
screamed out, “Why does this keep happening to me?” Yeah, just a bunch of emotions. I was super overwhelmed obviously playing in front of home crowd. Winning the match, right?

“It was match point for me, and it was just crazy. It was crazy. I started laughing at one point
because, honestly, at this point it’s laughable. For me it’s just crazy. It’s crazy. I’m trying to stay positive,
but it’s getting really tough. It’s getting really tough.”

Currently ranked No. 187, Andreescu said she hopes to recover in time to play Cincinnati, but isn’t sure her ankle will heal fast enough to permit her to play in the Queen City.

“Taking it day by day, but obviously the ligaments are a little bit torn, so that takes time,” Andreescu said. “So it’s kind of a day-to-day thing. I’m hoping to be ready for Cincinnati, but yeah, we don’t know. Can’t
say.”

The 25-year-old Canadian’s US Open hopes will be in doubt if she doesn’t recover in time for Cincinnati and has to play qualifying in Flushing Meadows. A year ago, Andreescu pushed Wimbledon finalist and seventh-seeded Jasmine Paolini to 6-4 in the third set in a US Open first-round loss.

While Andreescu concedes her injury woes have caused her to contemplate an early retirement, she said she loves the sport and views injury issues as a test she’s determined to pass.

“On my bad days, which yesterday definitely was a very bad day for me, I definitely had different thoughts running through my head, but at the end of the day, I know that I truly love this sport,” Andreescu said. “It’s given me so much, and the emotions that I get from – just an example, last night was incredible being able to play in front of my home crowd and actually win and finish the match off, even though I was still hurt.

“If you are talking about retirement or whatever… I don’t know. Just because obviously I’ve thought about that too, but no, like, this for me, my goals are still set. Yes, I’m going to have bad days, but I know my goals, and I know what I want to accomplish in this sport.

“So yeah, all I have to do is do my best, and I know that we didn’t do anything wrong. Yeah, I guess, I don’t know, it just happened. The universe just keeps testing me, but I know it’s going to make me stronger.”

Bianca Andreescu laments her bad luck after 'freak' Montreal injury

2024 Wimbledon

Bianca Andreescu says it "sucks" to be forced to withdraw from Montreal and admits she is "frustrated over a freak accident," but remains hopeful it isn't anything long-term.

With a chance to close out the match against 2024 Wimbledon champion Barbora Krejcikova, the Canadian tennis player twisted her ankle on a match point. After spending some time on the court in pain and receiving medical assistance, the 2019 US Open champion managed to continue the match and complete a 6-3 6-4 win.

Andreescu, who was in tears after beating Krejcikova, lamented her bad luck and it was clear that she may not be able to continue her Montreal campaign. Unfortunately, exactly that happened on Tuesday when she was forced to give a walkover to Mirra Andreeva. 

Andreescu: I can't really explain this injury other than call it a freak accident

The 25-year-old Canadian has a long injury history but insists she has been doing everything possible lately to have a strong body and stay healthy. Speaking to reporters after pulling out of the Andreeva match, the former world No. 4 revealed she is hoping to be able to play in Cincinnati since her injury is considered "a day-to-day thing."

“It's kind of a day-to-day thing. I'm hoping to be ready for Cincinnati, but yeah, we don't know. Can't say… It was out of nowhere. Just happened. I mean, we work proprioception every single day. We do foot exercises, ankles. Yeah, we can't really explain it. Maybe it was emotions. Maybe I was a little bit tired. I just stepped in a weird way. Yeah, we're kind of just saying it was a freak accident. It's all we can really say," Andreescu explained.

Previously, Andreescu was out for six months due to an injury and only kicked off her 2025 season in April. 

Watch: Bianca Andreescu rolls ankle on match point, lets out heartbreaking scream

2024 Wimbledon

Bianca Andreescu went through a painful moment very late in her Montreal opener as the former world No. 4 badly rolled her ankle on a match point. 

Serving for the match at 5-3 in the second set against 2024 Wimbledon champion Barbora Krejcikova, the Canadian twisted her ankle and fell on the court instantly. Moments after the injury scare, the 2019 US Open winner yelled, "Why does this always happen to me?"

Andreescu, who was in evident pain and discomfort, was assisted to her bench, where she was treated by the trainer. Ultimately, the Canadian – who received a wildcard for this year's tournament in Montreal – managed to resume play and complete a 6-3 6-4 win.

Andreescu cried and got emotional after her Montreal win

The Montreal crowd prompted the 25-year-old to continue playing and gave her the extra energy. And after the current world No. 187 managed to get over the finish line, she became emotional but also acknowledged the crowd's help.

"You guys are everything. I'm super happy I was able to pull through and it's thanks to you guys," the home player told the crowd.

Andreescu's injury history is well-documented as she has struggled with various injuries over the last several years. 

After taking part in the Tokyo tournament in 2024 October, the Canadian decided to take a break to address her back injury. The 25-year-old returned to action in April. Since coming back to tennis, she has posted a 12-8 record and she is ranked just inside the top-200.

In the Montreal second round, Andreescu is due to meet Mirra Andreeva. It remains to be seen if tshe will be impacted by the ankle injury.

Zheng Qinwen Cracks Top-4, 17-Year-Old Jovic Reaches Top 100

The Chinese star hits a new career-high after her semifinal run at Queen's Club. Bianca Andreescu

By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Monday June 16, 2025

Zheng Qinwen has become the second Chinese woman to hold a Top-4 ranking. Only two-time major champion Li Na, who topped out at No.2, has done better.

22-year-old Zheng, who reached the semifinals at Queen’s Club last week, leapfrogs Jasmine Paolini in Monday’s WTA rankings.

Tennis Express

Zheng is the fourth woman born in the 2000s to hold a Top-4 ranking, along with Bianca Andreescu, Coco Gauff and Iga Swiatek.

Maria Biggest Mover

The biggest riser inside the WTA’s Top-100 is Tatjana Maria, who jumps 43 spots to No.43 after claiming the title in Queen’s. The 37-year-old German is one spot shy of her career-high ranking, and is the oldest player inside the Top 100.

Jovic Cracks Top 100

Torrance, California native Iva Jovic won the 125K event in Ilkley, defeating Rebecca Marino in the final, and thus rises 26 spots to No.89 in the world. The American is the only player that has not turned 18 to rank inside of the WTA’s Top 200.

Only two teenagers – Mirra Andreeva and Maya Joint – currently rank higher than Jovic.