A registered letter with no return receipt was sent by the new CEO of LIV Golf, Scott O'Neil, to Ian Poulter. No exceptions: either The Postman places in the top 48 of the 2025 rankings or he's out of a permanent spot on the Saudi tour. With two events remaining in the season, Poulter sits in 51st place.
Ian Poulter, news
The former Ryder Cup star is playing the 2026 event in Chicago this weekend and in Indianapolis next weekend. His hopes are slim: in 2025, the Englishman has a best finish of 13th in South Korea. In total, he has earned 4.5 points in the LIV rankings. Chilean Niemann, the dominant player this year, has a remarkable 206.8.
Scott O'Neill has made things clear, trying to regain his virginity and get LIV players back into the world rankings (and thus back into the Majors). This year, his tour will be played solely on merit on the green. No exemptions.
No exceptions like twelve months ago when, for unspecified "commercial reasons," then-boss Greg Norman fished out Bubba Watson. The American professional, captain of the Range Goats team, finished the 2024 season ranked 53rd. The same treatment was reserved for South African Branden Grace.
More than a hundred professionals from around the world are participating in this never-ending playoff, all chasing a contract. Plan B involves winning the International Series, the minor circuit of the Asian Tour: too bad Ian isn't even in the top 100 today.
According to The Telegraph, the Englishman's contract with the PIF expires on August 24th, at the end of the Grand Team Finals in Michigan. If things go badly (or even terribly), the Englishman could be limited to being the manager or non-playing captain of his team, the Majesticks, next year.
The full Majesticks team: Sam Horsfield, Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, and Henrik Stenson (Photo by Cliff Hawkins / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Getty Images via AFP)
The Majesticks are not doing well. Also on the team with Poulter are Henrik Stenson and Lee Westwood. The Swede is currently 47th in the LIV ranking, while the Englishman is 46th. Both are on the knife's edge.
It's sad to think of the most bitter scenario: three giants of world golf (Westwood was once number one in the ranking) and of the Ryder Cup competing against each other in the Qualifying Schools for a place in the sun.
In this evolving scenario, the DP World Tour is standing by. Poulter, Westwood, and Sergio Garcia left Europe two years ago, slamming the door, complete with written resignations. Henrik Stenson went further: first he accepted the appointment as European Ryder Cup captain, then he moved to the circuit, a sworn enemy of the DP and PGA. That confrontation now seems a long way off, thanks to a struggling European circuit jostling for greater visibility and sponsorship. Three players like Ian, Lee, and Henrik would still be very useful.
By Richard Pagliaro | Saturday, August 2, 2025 Photo credit: Minas Panagiotakis/Getty
Victoria Mboko expected a tough fight from Coco Gauff.
Before an electric home crowd, the Canadian teenager delivered a knockout.
Eighteen-year-old Mboko repeatedly beat Gauff to the punch toppling the top-seeded American 6-1, 6-4 to score her biggest career win and roar into the Montreal quarterfinals.
“It was one of the biggest matches I could have played so far in my career. So far I feel really happy with how it went,” Mboko told the media in Montreal. “Playing Coco is obviously never easy. She’s No. 2 in the world, and it’s been such a great opportunity for me to play against someone like her. I was just happy I kept my composure today and I pulled it through.”
A dynamic Mboko broke at 15 in the first and last games and spent much of the match playing off the front foot staying one step ahead of the two-time Grand Slam champion.
“I mean, it is tough. I knew she would come in with a lot of confidence, and she’s won her first couple of rounds easily,” Gauff said. “Honestly, I haven’t played the best this tournament, so I knew that it would be tough.
“I don’t know, I just felt like I could do better today, but I also knew that if I took my foot off the gas a little bit, that she would take advantage of those moments, and she did.”
It was Mboko’s first career Top 10 win and she displayed both power and poise pulling it off.
Mboko, who swept former Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin in round two, made history as the third Canadian teenager to beat multiple Grand Slam champions at a single event. The explosive Mboko joins Bianca Andreescu (Auckland, Indian Wells and US Open in 2019) and Leylah Fernandez (2021 US Open) in achieving that impressive feat.
When things got tight tonight at 4-all in the second set, Mboko did not crack and continued driving the ball deeper than the two-time Grand Slam champion in avenging a three-set loss to Gauff in Rome.
“Honestly, I don’t think she played much different. I think it’s two different surfaces, and I felt like my level was a little bit higher in Rome, so I think the matchup was better,” Gauff said. “But still, I knew in Rome when I played her, it would be a tough match, and it was.
“I knew today it would be hard, and she’s playing, like, high-level tennis. Yeah, I think that’s what showed today. I think she was the better player today.”
Reigning Roland Garros champion Gauff committed 23 double faults—nearly a full set of doubles—in her opener vs. Danielle Collins yet still squeezed out a 7-5, 4-6 7-6(2) victory relying on her grit and legs to get it done in two hours, 56 minutes. In round two, Gauff clanked 14 double faults fending off Veronika Kudermetova 4-6, 7-5, 6-2.
Today, Gauff hit just six double faults—one more than the Canadian wild card—but Mboko often handcuffed the top seed slashing returns right back through the middle. Mboko converted all four of her break point chances and frequently controlled the forehand to forehand exchanges.
Embed from Getty Imageswindow.gie=window.gie||function(c){(gie.q=gie.q||[]).push(c)};gie(function(){gie.widgets.load({id:’uLUKBF17S-pK-WFuQ966ZQ’,sig:’51iA97VGC6pcaTRw3TddN-yjBFheR4Y71DrdxamQE74=’,w:’594px’,h:’396px’,items:’2227570972,2227571158,2227567016,2227571164,2227567494′,caption: true ,tld:’com’,is360: false })});
Gauff skipped Washington, DC to spend time in the Florida heat working on her serve. That shot was suspect in Montreal this week revealing her service game is still very much a work in progress as she heads to Cincinnati before the start of the US Open later this month.
This match was a rematch of the Rome second round in May when Gauff rallied for a 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 win.
On the faster Montreal court, Mboko showed she’s one of the few women who can run with the speedy Gauff as she prevailed in some of the crackling crosscourt running rallies.
Reflecting on that Rome defeat helped Mboko remain focused throughout the second set.
“Yeah, I was actually really thinking about it a lot during the match, especially after I won the first set. I kind of had flashbacks to when I played her in Rome a little bit,” Mboko said. “I just remember when she kind of came out playing even better and stepped it up a bit better when I played her in Europe, I was thinking about that.
“I kind of wanted to step my game up a little bit more and make sure I matched whatever she was producing, and I wanted to stay right there with her.”
Taking the ball earlier than Gauff at times Mboko burned the world No. 2 blasting drives down the line.
Deadlocked at 4-all in the second set, Mboko cracked a backhand drive down the line then flashed a clenched fist toward her box holding at 30 for 5-4.
Serving to extend the match, Gauff was down double match point when she hit the slider serve wide. On the full stretch, Mboko flicked a forehand return back into play. Gauff got up to the ball but tried to play a short slice and found the net instead.
Clad head-to-toe in blue Wilson apparel, Mboko tossed her racquet aside and covered her face with her hands in an eruption of emotion as Montreal fans exploded with cheers.
Gauff was gracious in defeat crediting the teenager with outplaying her.
“She’s very athletic. She’s a great ball striker, and she seems pretty positive out there on the court, doesn’t get really too negative,” Gauff said. “I mean, I don’t know her too well, but I’ve gotten to talk to her a little bit over the course since Rome. I think she has a great support system around her, and I think that’s important when you’re young and on tour.
“Yeah, hopefully we have many more battles, and I look forward to playing her again in the future.”
Mboko is the first Canadian teenager to reach the quarterfinals since Andreescu won the title in 2019—and based on this performance she’s poised to do even more damage in this North American summer hard court season.
It's the final tournament of the PGA Tour regular season, and the stakes are high. The Wyndham Championship will take place from July 31st to August 3rd in Greensboro, North Carolina. Among the 156 competitors, there will also be an Italian: Matteo Manassero. On the Sedgefield Country Club course, the competition will be fierce to qualify for the top 70 of the FedEx Cup, who will compete in the FedEx St. Jude Championship in Memphis from August 7th to 10th, the first of three playoff events. The field includes not only 10 of the world's top 40, but also all the players ranked 60th to 109th in the FedEx Cup. While it's true that 70 players will advance to the first postseason event, it's also true that the top 100 of the FedEx Cup, at the conclusion of the Wyndham Championship, will confirm their full roster for the 2025-2026 season.
Pga Tour, news
Among the competition's most anticipated players is Keegan Bradley. Ranked seventh in the world, the 39-year-old from Woodstock, Vermont, could play the dual role of player-captain for the United States in the 45th Ryder Cup from September 26 to 28 in Farmingdale, New York. This year, Bradley, ranked 10th in the FedEx Cup, has achieved five top-10 finishes in 17 events, including the Travelers Championship. The winner of the tournament will secure not only $1,476,000 (8,200,000 total prize money) and 500 FedEx Cup points, but also an exemption to participate in The Sentry, THE PLAYERS Championship, the Masters Tournament, and the PGA Championship in 2026.
Not since 2007 (when the FedEx Cup was founded) has the Wyndham Championship boasted a field of this caliber, with 21 of the world's top 50 and 22 of the FedEx Cup's top 50. If England's Aaron Rai defends the title he won in 2024, Americans Tony Finau, Rickie Fowler, Ben Griffin, Andrew Novak, Max Greyserman, Akshay Bhatia, and Kurt Kitayama (fresh from his exploits in the 3M Open) will be chasing the feat. With them are Japan's Hideki Matsuyama, England's Matt Fitzpatrick and Harry Hall, Scotland's Robert MacIntyre, South Korea's Sungjae Im, New Zealand's Ryan Fox, Denmark's Nicolai Hojgaard, and Australia's Adam Scott, runner-up in 2021 and 7th in 2023. For Manassero (147th in the FedEx Cup), the 32-year-old from Negrar di Valpolicella (Verona), after two consecutive cuts in Europe in the Genesis Scottish Open and The Open (the last Major of 2025), this is a chance to confirm the good results he showed on the PGA Tour last June in the Canadian Open, where he finished 6th after also leading at the end of the third and penultimate round.
You can buy the former world No. 1's home, but it will cost you.
By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Saturday, July 19, 2025
Photo credit: Corleve-Mark Peterson
Maria Sharapova played her final professional match in 2020. The former world No. 1 remains a big winner this year.
In addition to her impending induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame this summer, Sharapova stands to cash in big on the sale of her California home.
Photo credit: Josh Bustos/Wall Street Journal
Tennis fans, you can now buy Sharapova's Manhattan Beach, California home, but it will cost you.
The tennis superstar has listed her custom-built home, featuring Japanese-inspired landscaping for $24.95 Million, The Wall Street Journal reports.
The 38-year-old Sharapova is selling her California home because she's spending more time working and living in Europe.
The five-time Grand Slam champion has been in a relationship with British businessman Alexander Gilkes since 2018. On July 1, 2022, Sharapova gave birth to the couple's son.
Sharapova was recently in London during Wimbledon for an appearance on behalf of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
World No. 1 sends clear message to former coaches.
By Richard Pagliaro | @Tennis_Now | Friday, May 30, 2025 Photo credit: Clive Brunskill/Getty
Tennis is an ongoing educational experience.
Today, Aryna Sabalenka schooled her skeptical teachers.
World No. 1 Sabalenka tamed tricky lefty Olga Danilovic 6-2, 6-3 powering into the Roland Garros fourth round for the third straight year.
Three-time major champion Sabalenka, who improved to a Tour-best 37-6 in 2025, will face former French Open semifinalist Amanda Anisimova in a blockbuster fourth-round battle between two massive hitters.
Today, Sabalenka sent major message to coaches who slammed her as too “stupid” to make her mark as a pro: Quit your job.
Recalling junior coaches who questioned her mental strength, Sabalenka told those skeptics: You know nothing.
“I always been quite motivated and they didn’t have to push me,” Sabalenka said of her rise through the ranks. “But I have heard a lot [of coaches] saying I’m not smart enough, that I’m stupid, and I’ll never make it, and I don’t have anything to make it to the top.
“I guess I want to send a quick message to them to quit their job.
“Because honestly, I think they know nothing and they better quit just to save other players.”
Asked how she reacted to critical coaches claiming she was too witless to be a winner on the WTA Tour, Sabalenka said she laughed in their face.
“I was just laughing and saying: We’ll see,” Sabalenka said.
A sharp Sabalenka has surrendered just 10 games in three tournament wins this week.
Following her crushing conquest of Kamilla Rakhimova 6-1, 6-0 in her Roland Garros opener, Sabalenka shared her parents were never pushy about her career pursuit. However, the Belarusian said she saw demanding Eastern European coaches burn young players out.
“I definitely say that Eastern European school is very tough. I think that’s why whoever survive that school, they’re really tough,” Sabalenka said after round one.
On the one hand, Sabalenka said surviving her junior training made her a tougher competitor, but on the other hand she saw some fellow players broken by “brutal” coaches making punishing demands.
“I have to say that probably because of the environment and in the history of European countries, we are much tougher,” Sabalenka told the media in Paris. “Whoever got through the tough stuff, they, like, mentally and physically, they much stronger than probably, not like the rest of the world, but most of the girls on tour…
“I definitely think that the environment we have in our countries, which is like very tough and coaches are very brutal, you know, there is nothing nice about the way they, like, work with their players, they quite rude. I think that’s why maybe our mentality is much stronger, but also, the same time, they kind of like broke so many players because of that aggressive mindset.
“I think in Europe and the States, the environment is much healthier.”
Continuing her quest for a maiden Roland Garros crown, Sabalenka said she’s inspired by Grand Slam king Novak Djokovic still going strong at age 38 and was moved seeing the Big 4 reunite for Roland Garros’ royal celebration send off for King of Clay Rafael Nadal.
“Imagine if he gonna retire tomorrow, then everyone going to be sad, no? Don’t you think so?” Sabalanka said. “Then there is another like 10, 15 years to Jannik and Alcaraz to become one of the greatest. But just, you know, let him be.
“You know, it was so sad to see the ceremony, big four were on the court and you understand that three of them retired. Everyone missing their games.
“So let’s just let Novak to be there to show and fight and show his greatness and to inspire that generation.”