Roger Federer Return Set For Shanghai Exhibition Doubles

By Richard Pagliaro | Monday, August 11, 2025
Photo credit: Wilson

The Swiss Maestro will make the strings sing in Shanghai in October.

Former world No. 1 Roger Federer announced he will play an exhibition doubles match at the Rolex Shanghai Masters on October 10th.

tennis express pro player gear
tennis express pro player gear

“Shanghai has always been a special place for me, with great fans, unforgettable memories and a real love for the game,” Federer said in a video message posted on the tournament’s social media channels.  “I look forward to seeing you there on October 10th.

“Shanghai let’s meet.”

The Roger Federer and Friends Celebrity doubles match will feature actors Wu Lei and Donnie Yen, and former Chinese tennis player Zheng Jie. The Federer exhibition doubles match will be played on  Qizhong Stadium’s center court.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion returned to Shanghai last fall where he practiced with Carlos Alcaraz in a session starring two of the top shotmakers in Open Era history.

An immensely popular presence in Asia, Federer is a two-time Shanghai champion.

In the 2017 final, the second-seeded Swiss played a near-flawless match firing 10 aces against no double faults and permitting just eight points on serve in a 6-4, 6-3 win over top-seeded rival Rafael Nadal.

Federer captured his first Shanghai title in 2014 out-dueling Frenchman Gilles Simon 7-6(6), 7-6(2) in a one hour, 53-minute final. The third-seeded Federer stopped top-seeded Novak Djokovic 6-4, 6-4 in the 2014 semifinals.

In an interview with Tennis Now in New York City during the 2024 US Open, Federer said he had been hitting and was looking forward to potentially playing some exhibitions.

Visiting the Masters at Augusta National in April, Federer reiterated his desire to play some exhibitions.

“Honestly, I would love to play some more tennis again. Enough with the golf already for a moment now,” Roger told SNTV. 

“I would seriously start playing 2 or 3 times a week again and hopefully get myself back on the exhibition court and hopefully maybe fill up a few nice stadiums around the world.”

In two months time, fans will see Federer back on court in Shanghai.

Coco Gauff teases American men over lack of Grand Slams: No competition

2009 Wimbledon

Coco Gauff jokes there "has not been much of a competition" between American men and women at Grand Slams simply because the women have had much more success over the last two decades.

As you probably know, the last US male tennis player to win a Grand Slam singles title was Andy Roddick. After winning his maiden Major at the 2003 US Open, the former world No. 1 appeared in four more Major finals but never won his second title on the biggest level.

After Roddick's 2009 Wimbledon final defeat to Roger Federer, it took US tennis 15 years to get another male Grand Slam finalist – Taylor Fritz reached the 2024 US Open final but stood no chance there, losing in straight sets to Jannik Sinner.

When it comes to American WTA stars, their Slam success over the past two decades is well-documented. In the most recent history, Gauff landed two Grand Slams in the last two years. 

Gauff takes a playful shot at US ATP players

"For the men, I feel like the women, it hasn't been much of a competition, no offense to them, but now it is kind of was it three or four straight Slams with American in the finals. So I think we're we're doing pretty good on our end. They have to catch up. But no, I think it's great to see so many so much representation of like our country in the sport," the 2023 US Open winner said.

After making it clear that she thinks American male tennis features some pretty quality players, Gauff revealed her big wish was to witness an American male and female winning the same Grand Slam. Last year, Fritz and Jessica Pegula came close to making that happen, but lost their respective US Open final matches.

"I would love to see in my lifetime like a woman and an American woman and male when the same Slam that would be that would be great. We got it US Open. They were both in the final so hopefully maybe this U.S. Open some magic can happen," Gauff added.

In early June, Gauff won her first French Open title. Now, the 21-year-old is an Australian Open and Wimbledon title away from completing a Career Grand Slam.

Humble & Hungry – Shelton Is Youngest American to Reach Masters Final in 21 Years

By Chris Oddo | Wednesday August 6, 2025

Ben Shelton broke new ground on Wednesday night in Toronto, defeating Taylor Fritz to become the youngest American to reach a Masters 1000 final since Andy Roddick in 2004.

Tennis Express player gear
Tennis Express player gear

The 22-year-old notched a 6-4, 6-3 over the top-ranked American, and has now earned back-to-back Top-10 wins for the first time in his career.

“I’m just looking for things in my game to steadily improve and I’ve seen so many big improvements in my game this week,” said Shelton. “That’s what I’m most happy about. The way that I’m playing, how I’m executing and how little I’m hesitating.”

Shelton saved both break points he faced in a flawless performance, and converted three of ten to pull away from the fourth-ranked American.

He cracked seven aces and won 25 of 29 first-serve points.

“When he is standing in one corner, he’s one of the best in the world at being behind the ball and hitting it harder and harder every time,” Shelton said of the 2024 US Open runner-up. “You have to keep him moving and I did a great job of that, moving the ball around the court today.”

In the first all-American Masters semifinal in 15 years Shelton improved to 1-1 vs Fritz and became the eighth player born in the 2000s to play a Masters final.

“It’s huge,” Shelton said. “Talked about how the Masters were the one level of tournaments that I’ve been struggling with, and my next step is being able to excel in these tournaments. So taking that first step and getting my first deep run under my belt is exciting.”

He’ll face Karen Khachanov for the title on Thursday evening.

Naomi Osaka on Split from Coach Patrick Mouratoglou

By Richard Pagliaro | Monday, July 28, 2025
Photo credit: Robert Prange/Getty

Naomi Osaka is ready for a reset.

It won’t include Patrick Mouratoglou.

Former No. 1 Osaka announced she split with Mouratoglou, who coached her for nearly 11 months.

Tennis Express player gear
Tennis Express player gear

“Merci Patrick. It was such a great experience learning from you,” Osaka posted on Instagram. “Wishing you nothing but the best. You are one of the coolest people I’ve ever met and I’m sure I’ll see you around.”

Four-time Grand Slam champion Osaka, who split with ex-coach Wim Fissette after the 2024 US Open, began working with Mouratoglou in September of 2024.

 “Yes [he’s] my [coach] right now. I try not to commit to short-term collaborations,” Osaka said last September. “I try to think that it is a long-term commitment. I like the way he coaches. I think it’s going to be very interesting.”

Working with Mouratoglou, Osaka captured her first clay-court title at the WTA 125 event in Saint Malo in May. She also reached the Auckland final in January retiring after dropping the opening set to Clara Tauson, 6-4.

Though they clicked personally, professional results largest eluded Osaka, who fell in three sets to Paula Badosa in the Roland Garros opening round. Osaka reached the Wimbledon third round losing in three sets to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.

Coach Mouratoglou was philosophical about the parting.

“Nothing lasts forever. What counts is what a collaboration has brought to each other and what lasts after,” Mouratoglou posted on social media.

The 49th-ranked Osaka lost to Emma Raducanu, 6-4, 6-2 in the Washington, DC round of 16 last week. Since she won her fourth Grand Slam championship at the 2021 Australian Open, Osaka has become a mom and spoken publicly about mental health battles. Osaka has played 12 majors since that 2021 AO victory and has yet to surpass the third round. She reached the third round of both the Australian Open and Wimbledon this year.  

Struggling Naomi Osaka ditches coach Patrick Mouratoglou

Ariana Arseneault

Naomi Osaka is making a major change at the start of the North American hard-court swing as the former world No. 1 decided to call time on her partnership with coach Patrick Mouratoglou.

Last week, the Japanese kicked off her summer on hard courts in Washington, where she defeated Yulia Putintseva in her opener before being bounced by Emma Raducanu in straight sets. Overall, the four-time Grand Slam champion is 21-12 this year and ranked at No. 49 in the world – a far cry from where she wants to be.

After failing to rediscover her old form, Osaka split with Wim Fissette following the conclusion of the 2024 US Open. The 27-year-old hired Mouratoglou shortly after. Now, less than a year of working together, they are separating. 

"Merci Patrick. It was such a great experience learning from you. Wishing you nothing but the best. You are one of the coolest people I've ever met and I'm sure I'll see you around," the four-time Grand Slam champion announced through an Instagram Story.

How Osaka's tenure with Mouratoglou went?

When Osaka hired Mouratoglou – who worked with Serena Williams for a decade and achieved massive success – she was hoping the French coach could lead her to the Promised Land. It didn't happen and their partnership is now a thing of the past.

When it comes to the Japanese's 2025 season, two results stand out – a runner-up finish in Auckland and her first clay title at the WTA 125 (Challenger) tournament in Saint-Malo. 

Now that Mouratoglou is gone, it will be interesting to see if Osaka brings someone to assist her or if she decides to go solo for some time. 

Today, the former world No. 1 is starting her campaign at the WTA 1000 tournament in Montreal, where she plays against world No. 515 Ariana Arseneault. The Japanese's form may not be the best but she enters as the major favorite against the 515th-ranked Canadian.

Dominic Thiem is surprised by Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz

Carlos Alcaraz

As of the start of the 2024 season, Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz have become the two new leaders of the men's tour and it is no coincidence that they have shared the last seven Grand Slam titles. The Italian ace triumphed in Melbourne in 2024 and 2025, at the 2024 US Open and at the 2025 Wimbledon Championships, while the Spaniard prevailed at Roland Garros in 2024 and 2025 and at Wimbledon in 2024.

Jannik and Carlos are able to express a level that is clearly superior to that of all the other players and – at the moment – it is not clear who can stop their rise. The top two players of the ATP rankings have faced each other in the final in both Paris and London this year, and fans are already dreaming of a new chapter in their rivalry taking place in New York at the end of the summer.

Their matches are simply epic and the recent Roland Garros final is destined to be remembered as one of the best of the modern era, as well as being the longest in the history of the French Slam. The star from Murcia prevailed in the fifth set after canceling three match points in a row, completing one of the most impressive comebacks in recent tennis history.

Thiem is speechless

During a long interview, former Austrian ace Dominic Thiem – who had to leave tennis due to a serious wrist injury – discussed this electrifying rivalry: "Their matches are always very balanced and spectacular, they have raised the level of the sport and are taking it to another dimension. Jannik and Carlos play at an impressive speed and move very well. No one expected that two such champions would emerge immediately after the Big 3."

The 2020 US Open winner also added: "Both are much superior to their opponents today, but it can happen that they lose too. I don't know if they're going to win every Grand Slam tournament in the next few years, but there's no doubt that they're one step ahead of everyone today."