Eva Lys roasts herself and drops hilarious Iga Swiatek comment after Montreal loss

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

Eva Lys kept it light after being routed by Iga Swiatek in Montreal as the 69th-ranked German teased herself and also funnily blamed the Pole for always ending her good runs. 

The 23-year-old German, who broke into the top-100 for the first time earlier this year, only this year made her maiden appearance at the Canadian Open. And the world No. 69 started solidly, beating Leolia Jeanjean and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova before Swiatek handed her a 6-2 6-2 third-round loss.

On X, a fan posted a video of how the third-seeded Pole saved a game point in the opening game by making Lys run from side to side. The six-time Grand Slam champion also got her first break of the match in that game. 

The X video in question was captioned: "Iga has Eva running marathons already." After the match, the German noticed the post and hilariously stated that she thought the same on the court: "Legit what I said to my box 20 mins into the match."

Lys jokes: Swiatek always ending my good runs…

If you can recall, Lys was one of the best stories of this year's Australian Open as she stayed in Melbourne for a couple of days after losing in the qualifying final round before literally entering the draw as a lucky loser at the last moment. The rest is history as the 23-year-old ended up making the round-of-16 and becoming the first lucky loser since 1988 to make the second week at Melbourne Park. Her fairytale run was ended by Swiatek, who beat her 6-0 6-1.

"@iga.swiatek always ending my good runs lol. tried my best, came a little closer this time. we appreciate the small steps. BIGGEST thank you to the amazing fans in Montreal. you made me feel loved. until next year," the German wrote on Instagram.

 

 

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A post shared by Eva Lys (@eva.lys)

Lys also played against Swiatek in 2022 Stuttgart and picked up a 1-6 1-6 loss.

Naomi Osaka on Split from Coach Patrick Mouratoglou

By Richard Pagliaro | Monday, July 28, 2025
Photo credit: Robert Prange/Getty

Naomi Osaka is ready for a reset.

It won’t include Patrick Mouratoglou.

Former No. 1 Osaka announced she split with Mouratoglou, who coached her for nearly 11 months.

Tennis Express player gear
Tennis Express player gear

“Merci Patrick. It was such a great experience learning from you,” Osaka posted on Instagram. “Wishing you nothing but the best. You are one of the coolest people I’ve ever met and I’m sure I’ll see you around.”

Four-time Grand Slam champion Osaka, who split with ex-coach Wim Fissette after the 2024 US Open, began working with Mouratoglou in September of 2024.

 “Yes [he’s] my [coach] right now. I try not to commit to short-term collaborations,” Osaka said last September. “I try to think that it is a long-term commitment. I like the way he coaches. I think it’s going to be very interesting.”

Working with Mouratoglou, Osaka captured her first clay-court title at the WTA 125 event in Saint Malo in May. She also reached the Auckland final in January retiring after dropping the opening set to Clara Tauson, 6-4.

Though they clicked personally, professional results largest eluded Osaka, who fell in three sets to Paula Badosa in the Roland Garros opening round. Osaka reached the Wimbledon third round losing in three sets to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.

Coach Mouratoglou was philosophical about the parting.

“Nothing lasts forever. What counts is what a collaboration has brought to each other and what lasts after,” Mouratoglou posted on social media.

The 49th-ranked Osaka lost to Emma Raducanu, 6-4, 6-2 in the Washington, DC round of 16 last week. Since she won her fourth Grand Slam championship at the 2021 Australian Open, Osaka has become a mom and spoken publicly about mental health battles. Osaka has played 12 majors since that 2021 AO victory and has yet to surpass the third round. She reached the third round of both the Australian Open and Wimbledon this year.