
Leylah Fernandez took a shot at the Montreal organizers following her early exit at the tournament, claiming that she had made a request that wasn't granted.
The Canadian, ranked at No. 24 in the world, won the WTA 500 tournament in Washington on Sunday and she arrived in Montreal riding a five-match winning streak. But in her opening match at the Canadian Open, the new four-time WTA champion didn't stand a chance as Maya Joint claimed a routine 6-4 6-1 win.
Speaking with reporters after the match, Fernandez revealed that she reached out to the tournament organizers asking for her first-round match to be scheduled for the Tuesday evening session. The 22-year-old also added that she had been given "a lot of promises" that would happen – but it didn't.
“I did not receive that. That hurt me because I was very looking forward to be playing at night, but I guess it's a little bit political issues at that point," the top-ranked Canadian female tennis player said afterward.
Montreal tournament director responds to Fernandez's strong words
Montreal tournament director Sophie Tetreault confirmed that the Washington champion indeed made the request and suggested that she was ready to grant it. But then, the WTA authorities stepped in and had another match that they preferred in the night slot.
“But I didn't win my fight. I received the request for her to play in the evening. It's my role to have conversations with the WTA, so I pushed as much as possible for her to have what she wanted," Tetreault said.
The main action in Montreal started on Sunday and the majority of first-round matches concluded by Monday. On Tuesday, three first-round matches were left to be played out – Fernandez was one of them.
Fernandez losing early in Montreal is disappointing for all sides, especially knowing that she came to the Canadian Open in great form.