Paula Badosa Withdraws from US Open

By Richard Pagliaro | Friday, August 8, 2025
Photo credit: Matthew Calvis

The US Open is over before it began for Paula Badosa.

Former world No. 2 Badosa has officially withdrawn from this month’s US Open.

Alize Cornet

Badosa, who has been battling a back injury in recent years, has not played a match since bowing to Briton Katie Boulter in three sets in her Wimbledon opener last month.

Badosa’s departure gives Swiss Jil Teichmann entry into the US Open main draw, the USTA announced today. Veteran Alize Cornet is now the first player out of the main draw.

Initially, Badosa and ex-boyfriend Stefanos Tsitsipas were on the entry list for the US Open Mixed Doubles tournament. After they split as a couple, the pair withdrew from the US Open Mixed Doubles.

On the USTA’s most recent entry list, Badosa was set to partner Jack Draper in a match of Indian Wells’ champions, but that will not happen with her Flushing Meadows withdrawal.

An Australian Open semifinalist in January, Badosa will miss the US Open in her birthplace of New York City for the second time in the last three years.

A year ago, Badosa reached the US Open quarterfinals losing to Emma Navarro 6-2, 7-5. Badosa went on to a successful Asian swing reaching semifinals at the WTA 1000 in Beijing and at the WTA 500 in Ningbo where she retired after dropping the first set to Daria Kasatina.

Due to her back issues, Badosa has either retired or conceded a walkover seven times in the last two years.

De Minaur: Making Case to USTA for US Open Mixed Wild Card With Boulter

By Richard Pagliaro | Sunday, August 3, 2025
Photo credit: Katie Boulter Instagram

The couple that plays together stays together.

Alex de Minaur calls playing mixed doubles with fiancé Katie Boulter at Wimbledon one his career highlights.

That’s one reason why the Washington, D.C. champion is making the case to the USTA for a wild card for he and Boulter into this month’s US Open Mixed Doubles.

Alex de Minaur

“Yeah, a hundred percent. I mean, look, I think we’re doing our best to put a really good case forward to hopefully get that wild card,” de Minaur told the media in Toronto today after edging Frances Tiafoe for his seventh straight win. “Yeah, I mean, one of the most enjoyable moments I’ve had on a tennis court was playing Wimbledon mixed doubles with her.”

The USTA released the current roster of teams for the new US Open Mixed doubles tournament, which will be staged for the first time during fan week, the week before singles main-draw play begins.

Here’s a look at the teams currently set to play:

Frances Tiafoe

There are currently two open spots remaining and de Minaur is hoping he and Boulter will be given a wild card to fill one of them.

“It was pretty damn cool [to play with Boulter], so I would love to go back and, yeah, play again,” de Minaur said today. “And to play such an exciting event with the world’s best tennis players would be pretty cool. So hopefully they give us a chance to do that, and I don’t know, I mean, yeah, I’m keeping my fingers crossed.”

 

Nottingham | Kessler takes WTA 250 title, defeating Yastremska in final

American McCartney Kessler started the week at the WTA 250 Lexus Nottingham Open upsetting the No 1 seed, Beatriz Haddad Maia, and then 2-time defending champion Katie Boulter, amongst others, on her way to the final, where she capped it all by winning the title, easing past Ukraine’s Dayana Yastremska, 6-4 7-5, on Sunday.

The post Nottingham | Kessler takes WTA 250 title, defeating Yastremska in final appeared first on Tennis Threads Magazine.

Kessler Dethrones Nottingham Champion Boulter

McCartney Kessler conquered two-time Nottingham champion Katie Boulter for her first grass-court semifinal.Austin

By Tennis Now | @Tennis_Now | Friday, June 20, 2025
Photo credit: Nathan Stirk/Getty for LTA

McCartney Kessler continues her grass groove.

World No. 42 Kessler dethroned two-time Nottingham champion and home hero Katie Boulter 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 to advance to her maiden grass-court semifinal at the Nottingham Open today.

Tennis Express

Kessler saved 11 of 15 break points snapping the Briton's 12-match winning streak in Notthingham in two hours, seven minutes.

The 25-year-old American battled into her first semifinal since she fell to Jessica Pegula in the Austin final in February.

It is Kessler's second three-set win of the week as she improved to 19-14 on the season.

Kessler will play Rebecca Sramkova for a spot in Sunday's final.

Sramkova stopped seventh-seeded Linda Noskova 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 in today's final quarterfinal.

Earlier, sixth-seeded Magda Linette toppled No. 2-seeded Clara Tauson 6-2, 7-5.  

World No. 31 Linette avenged her Roland Garros first-round loss to Tauson last month.

Linette will play Dayana Yastremska in tomorrow's semifinals.

Yastremska beat former US Open finalist Leylah Fernandez 6-3, 7-6(6)—her first win over the Canadian left-hander in three meetings to reach her first grass-court semifinal.