Holger Rune shares his frustration after his loss in Toronto

Alexei Popyrin

There were huge expectations on Holger Rune in this edition of the Toronto Masters 1000, where the young Danish ace could benefit from the absence of several top players such as Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz, Novak Djokovic and Jack Draper. The former world number 4 had started his run well in Canada and seemed to be able to go far in this tournament, but was eliminated by Alexei Popyrin in the round of 16.

The winner of the 2022 Paris-Bercy Masters 1000 lost to a very dangerous player on this surface, who is capable of shining at the 'Canadian Open' considering that he lifted the trophy in Montreal a year ago, but Rune showed all his weaknesses once again.

The former Top 5 player had the chance to practice alongside a legend like Andre Agassi before the start of the North American tournaments, but ruled out that the American will follow him around the world as he already has a very busy schedule.

Rune lost again

The feeling is that Holger needs new stimuli at this stage of his career, which has entered a stagnant phase and there do not seem to be effective solutions for the moment. With the exception of excellent performances in Indian Wells (where he reached the final) and Barcelona (where he lifted the trophy), Rune's 2025 has not been satisfactory so far and his results in Grand Slam tournaments have been far below expectations.

During his latest press conference in Toronto, the Danish star confided that he was quite disappointed: "I didn't play my best tennis and it was a disappointing performance, there's not much more to add. I didn't express the level I wanted, I struggled with my serve and I didn't feel comfortable on court. I have to adopt better strategies during matches and select my shots in a better way. When I can make this improvement, then my results will improve."

Rune's next tournament will be the Cincinnati Masters 1000, scheduled for August 7-18.

Holger Rune sliding into Veronika Kudermetova DM mentioned during Russian's match

Alexei Popyrin

Holger Rune was mentioned during the Coco Gauff and Veronika Kudermetova Montreal match after a Tennis Channel commentator brought up the Russian tennis player's recent claim that the Dane slid into her Instagram DM. 

Prior to the start of the Canadian Open, one of the things that made the headlines in the tennis world was an interesting but also fun one – during a recent podcast appearance, 28-year-old Kudermetova shared that Rune tried shooting his shot with her. According to the 42nd-ranked WTA player, she only pointed out to the Dane that she was married. 

"Rune recently texted me. I told him, 'Boy, I'm probably too old for you. If you looked at my Instagram, you’d see I have a husband.' He replied, 'Oh, sorry.' After that, he stopped saying hi to me," the Russian tennis player said.

A commentator brings up Kudermetova's Rune revelation live on air

On Thursday, the world No. 42 took on Gauff in the Montreal third round. And right at the start of the second game, one Tennis Channel commentator brought up the news that recently made all the headlines. 

“I don’t know if you heard about this tea… not tennis related, but there was news that Holger Rune apparently texted Kudermetova, and she said she was too old for him and married," a Tennis Channel commentator told her colleague on air. 

Unfortunately for the Russian, what looked like a big day for her ended in disappointment after she allowed Gauff to come back from a set and a break down and win 4-6 7-5 6-2. 

Meanwhile, the ninth-ranked Dane has been through to the Toronto Masters round-of-16, where he plays Alexei Popyrin.

Holger Rune teases Novak Djokovic for a funny reason

2028 Olympics

Novak Djokovic is a living legend of this sport and his ability to push his own limits is amazing, considering that he has already won everything a top-level tennis player can dream of. The former world No.1 also achieved the last goal of his endless career at the Paris Olympics a year ago, when he shocked fans around the planet by winning the gold medal on his last attempt (although he has repeatedly stated that he also wants to participate in the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics, when he will be 41 years old).

After that amazing triumph, the Serbian veteran tried to win his 25th Major title but has not succeeded until now. The 38-year-old from Belgrade has reached the semifinals in all three Grand Slam tournaments that have been played this year, proving that he is still superior to most opponents, but the two current leaders of the men's tour – Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz – have no intention of leaving him room again.

Djokovic is on vacation now

After being overwhelmed by Sinner in the semi-final of the Wimbledon Championships a couple of weeks ago, the 24-time Grand Slam champion has allowed himself a few days to relax in Croatia and then will begin preparing for the Cincinnati Masters 1000.

Nole will not play the Canadian Open this year either, preferring to recharge his batteries ahead of the US Open scheduled in New York at the end of the summer. As chance would have it, Novak won his latest Major title in New York two years ago, when he defeated Russian ace Daniil Medvedev in the final. It seems like much more time has passed, given that the hierarchies of men's tennis have changed profoundly in this period of time.

Meanwhile, young Danish star Holger Rune gave a nice interview in which he was asked who is the player who arrives late most often. The world number 9 chose Djokovic.