Medvedev Overheats and Poor Stretch Continues in Cincinnati

By Chris Oddo | Monday August 11, 2025

What happened to Daniil Medvedev? Remember the former World No.1, the guy who stood tall against the Big Three and racked up titles on hard courts like they were going out of style? Has anyone seen that guy?

tennis express pro player gear
tennis express pro player gear

There would not be a sighting in Cincinnati, where Medvedev appeared as a shell of his former self as he wilted in defeat to Australia’s Adam Walton on Sunday, 6-7 6-4 6-1.

It’s just odd to see the former juggernaut at No.15 in the world, carrying a record of 26-17 for the season. One of the most captivating, personable players on the ATP Tour, who earned his nickname the “slim reaper” thanks to his wiry frame and uncanny ability to outlast players with his trademark accuracy and resiliency, is only 29 years old. It’s not like he’s Kei Nishikori at 35 and on the way out, or Gael Monfils at 38.

Medvedev is 1-3 at the Grand Slams in 2025, and 11-7 at the Masters events. This is a player who won more than 60 matches in 2021 and 2023, and reached six major finals between 2019 and 2024. But he’s gone 12-20 against the Top-20 since the start of 2024, so his lack of success against the elite no longer comes as surprise.

Medvedev was a few games from winning yesterday’s match with Walton, but the extreme heat zapped him. He was suffering during courtside changeovers, dunking his head in a water cooler and sitting beneath an ice pack. On court he had nothing to give in the deciding set. It happens, but it shouldn’t. No excuses, this is the type of difficulty he has pushed through in previous years, as he became one of the best hard court players in tennis.

The 2021 US Open champion will head to the US Open next, where he is 33-7 lifetime. If a dose of New York energy can’t bring his game to life, we should all be worried.

Djokovic: Reality Hit Meβ€”But Not My Last Wimbledon

"I'm not planning to finish my Wimbledon career today," Novak Djokovic said after his semifinal loss. Australian Open

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Friday, July 11, 2025
Photo credits: Adrian Dennis/AFP/Getty

Jannik Sinner stinging strike dislodged a bit of baseline and snapped Novak Djokovic's head to attention.

The Grand Slam king's quest for a record-setting 25th major championship came to a brutal and painful end on Centre Court today.

Tennis Express

World No. 1 shredded Djokovic 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 in today's Wimbledon semifinal striking with the same powerful precision the former No. 1 Djokovic showed for so many years capturing seven Wimbledon championships.

Hobbled from a nasty fall he took in the final game against Flavio Cobolli in the quarterfinals, Djokovic struggled to move laterally and tried to serve-and-volley to shorten points.

Though Djokovic drilled 12 aces against no double faults, he won just 5 of 30 second-serve points and dropped serve five times as Sinner scalded returns.

Afterward, a disconsolate Djokovic conceded "reality hits me" as his body broke down against the top seed.

However, a defiant Djokovic said this was not his last dance at Wimbledon. 

"I would be sad [if it was my last match], but hopefully it's not my last match on the Centre Court," Djokovic told the media afterward. "I'm not planning to finish my Wimbledon career today. So I'm planning to come back definitely at least one more time, play on the Centre Court for sure."

It's the second straight Slam where Sinner shattered Djokovic's major dream.

At Roland Garros last month, the reigning Australian Open and US Open champion conquered Djokovic 6-4, 7-5, 7-6(3) handing the owner of 100 career titles his first Slam semifinal straight sets loss in 15 years.

Today, Sinner repeated the feet as Djokovic was clearly compromised physically though he declined to discuss his injury issues.

The 38-year-old Serbian superstar said a major challenge is the wear and tear his body absorbs reaching the latter stages of Slams.

So by the time Djokovic gets to Sinner or Carlos Alcaraz, he feels like a race car running on a half-empty gas tank.

"It's just age, the wear and tear of the body. As much as I'm taking care of it, the reality hits me right now, last year and a half, like never before, to be honest," a candid Djokovic said. "It's tough for me to accept that because I feel like when I'm fresh, when I'm fit, I can still play really good tennis. I've proved that this year."

The best-of-five set Slam format has proved problematic for Djokovic, one of the greatest best-of-five-set players in Open Era history, when facing two explosive champions 15 years younger.

"I guess playing best-of-five, particularly this year, has been a real struggle for me physically," Djokovic said. "The longer the tournament goes, yeah, the worse the condition gets. I reach the final stages, I reach the semis of every slam this year, but I have to play Sinner or Alcaraz.

"These guys are fit, young, sharp. I feel like I'm going into the match with tank half empty."

Asked to assess Sunday's final (11 a.m. Eastern time, 4 p.m. London time), Djokovic, who lost to Alcaraz in the last two Wimbledon finals, gives the second-seeded Spaniard a slight edge over Sinner.

"I think I will give a slight edge to Carlos as a favorite because of the two titles he's won here and the way he's playing and the confidence he has right now," Djokovic said. "But it's just a slight advantage 'cause Jannik is hitting the ball extremely well. I think it's going to be, again, a very close matchup like we had in Paris, yeah."