Former ATP ace makes surprising comparison to describe Jannik Sinner

Cincinnati

Jannik Sinner is ready to return to action at the Cincinnati Masters 1000, a tournament where he had triumphed in 2024 without playing his best tennis. The world number 1 was not at the top of his shape in Ohio a year ago, also due to the imminent ITIA ruling relating to his doping case. For this reason, the Italian ace had more difficulty than expected during his run, but he was able to raise his level in the decisive moments and lifted the trophy by beating local idol Frances Tiafoe in the final.

After winning his first Wimbledon title last month, the 23-year-old from Sesto Pusteria went on holiday to Sardinia and preferred to skip the Toronto Masters 1000 (where he had triumphed two years ago starting his rise). The four-time Grand Slam champion – who has also decided to reinstate Umberto Ferrara as his fitness coach – has already arrived in Ohio and immediately started practicing to get used to the conditions.

Jannik wants to defend the title he won there last season and above all he wants to gain confidence in view of the US Open, which will start on August 24 in New York. As everyone knows, most of the top players will also play mixed doubles in this edition and Sinner will join forces with Emma Navarro.

Sanguinetti opens up on Sinner 

In a recent interview with 'SuperTennis', former ATP ace Davide Sanguinetti expressed his honest opinion on Sinner's current status: "He is a war machine who stops at nothing, he knows what his goals are and gives his best to achieve them. It must also be added that players are very professional nowadays and take care of every detail, whereas in my time we traveled almost alone.

Jannik deserves to be thanked because he has contributed more than anyone else to the growth of Italian tennis, everyone knows him in Italy and wants to become like him."

The world No.1 will have a first-round bye in Cincinnati and will make his debut directly in the second round.

Italian paper claims Jannik Sinner fired Marco Panichi because he 'talked too much'

Carlos Alcaraz

An Italian newspaper is claiming that Jannik Sinner fired Marco Panichi because he was "talking too much" and revealed some details that the world No. 1 didn't want to go public. 

Just days before the start of Wimbledon, the Italian tennis star stunned the entire tennis world when he announced that fitness coach Panichi and physio Ulises Badio were no longer a part of his team. It came as a big surprise – not only because of the move itself, but also because of the timing of it.

Now, Corriere della Sera reports that Sinner wasn't happy with one interview given by Panichi after his painful French Open final loss, when he blew a two-set lead and three championship points against Carlos Alcaraz. In the interview, the fitness coach said that the 23-year-old "cried for 15 minutes afterward in the locker room" and also wasn't happy with the fact that the French Open crowd supported more Alcaraz.

According to the report, Sinner didn't like that all. Also, it was mentioned that Badio – who came with Panichi in the same package – was "a collateral damage."

What Sinner said after splitting with Panichi?

During his pre-tournament presser at Wimbledon, the Italian – who ended up winning it all – insisted that "nothing crazy happened" with Panichi that caused the split. 

“There’s not one specific thing. Nothing crazy happened. That’s for sure not. As I said, we made some great work. Look, in this sport, things can happen and there is nothing incredible, no?” he said at the time.

Since then, Sinner has made a big move and returned Umberto Ferrara to his team – the same fitness coach that he fired after his doping case came to light. 

When it comes to fitness coach, he also didn't wait too long to find a new job as he is now a part of Holger Rune's team.