Karen Khachanov comments on Victoria Mboko win causing viral Toronto final stoppage

Ben Shelton

Karen Khachanov suggests he wasn't that surprised by the Toronto crowd's reaction to Victoria Mboko's Montreal triumph as the Russian says stuff like this is pretty common in Canada.

In case you missed it, the clock struck at 30 minutes of play in the Toronto Masters final when the crowd started going nuts – it happened as Khachanov was preparing to serve against Ben Shelton. The Russian stood there waiting for the spectators to calm down, while his American rival looked in disbelief and had no idea what was happening. The chair umpire provided quick explanation by telling the 22-year-old that the crowd was probably celebrating Mboko's win over Naomi Osaka in the Montreal final.

When the play continued, Khachanov managed to win a very tight opener against Shelton with a 7-6 (5) scoreline. Unfortunately for the Russian, he didn't manage to complete the job as Shelton came back from a set down to win 6-7 (5) 6-4 7-6 (3).

Khachanov comments on the viral Toronto final interruption

In his post-final presser, Khachanov was asked whether he had experienced anything like that before. And he said that something similar happened when Denis Shapovalov upset Rafael Nadal at the Canadian Open eight years ago.

"I think in Canada it's happening, but, yeah, if I remember, I think every year it happens, you know, from city to city they cheer for a local player, yeah. I remember I think in long time ago it was with Shapovalov, when he reached also like first time semifinals I think when he beat Rafa. I was playing I guess in Toronto, and then I remember something like this was happening, yeah," the 29-year-old said.

Sinner, Alcaraz, Djokovic, Draper Out of Toronto

World No. 2 Carlos Alcaraz will be Toronto top seed.arm injury

By Richard Pagliaro | @TennisNow | Sunday, July 20, 2025
Photo credit: Clive Brunskill/Getty

A quartet of talented contenders have stepped out of Toronto.

World No. 1 Jannik Sinner, world No.2 Carlos Alcaraz, Grand Slam king Novak Djokovic and Indian Wells champion Jack Draper have all withdrawn from this month's National Bank Open in Toronto.

Tennis Express

Sinner dethroned two-time defending champion Carlos Alcaraz to win his maiden Wimbledon crown earlier this month.

News of Alcaraz's withdrawal, reported by the Spanish outlet Marca, came after the tournament announced that Sinner, Djokovic and Draper had pulled out.

Draper, who picked up an arm injury after Wimbledon, will also miss Cincinnati. 

There has been talk that the ATP's committment to making Masters 1000 two-week events has dampened the enthusiasm of some of the tour's top players to play both. What formerly required a two-week commitment now requires over three weeks. 

Home players should enjoy strong support in Toronto, however. 

Three Canadians are ranked inside the ATP's Top 40 and earned direct entry into the main draw.

Montreal’s Félix Auger-Aliassime, currently representing Canada in Hopman Cup, will be making his eighth appearance at the NBO. The 28th-ranked Auger-Aliassime reached the 2022 quarterfinals.

No. 30 Denis Shapovalov, who won his second title of 2025 in Los Cabos last night, will also make his eighth appearance at the event. Shapovalov famously upset Rafael Nadal en route to the 2017 semifinals.

Big serving Montreal native Gabriel Diallo will play the Canadian Masters for the fourth time.

“Canada, I can't wait to be back at home and playing in front of all of you at this year's National Bank Open presented by Rogers,” said Félix Auger-Aliassime. "The atmosphere and fans in Toronto are always amazing, and it's not something I take for granted.

"I'm going to give it everything I've got, and I hope that we can go on a deep run together!”